Hey everyone! This week’s selection of events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress with JUST RANDOM HOLIDAY GIFS IN HERE to guide you through. Good luck!
Can you even contain the excitement of things to come?
• Have Your Best December.
• It’s the holiday season. That means buying gifts. Consult our massive gift guides so you maintain healthy relationships with the ones you love and/or tolerate. Gifts For Her + Gifts For Him + Gifts For Interesting People With Interests + Holiday Stuff
• It’s the holiday. That means you have time to read the Best Books of 2017.
• Our latest DC Dream Jobs column is book related too.
• More words about beer than you can read in one sitting, 2017: The Beer in Review.
•Also drinkable: our #basicnotbasic first look at the VODKA SODA Pop-Up Bar
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• We now have a radio show. It’s called BYT Radio because we’re very good at branding. Listen to it live at noon est. Listen to it as a podcast when it posts as a podcast. Once again, BYT Radio streams Thursday at noon.
• Drink some free beers at Lost Society for the Heineken AfterWork: Ugly Sweater Happy Hour.
• John Waters brings his annual holiday show to the Birchmere.
• Bruno Mars brings his Super Bowl level show to MGM National Harbor. Remember when he played the Super Bowl half time show? That was good.
• ChurchKey has a special release night with Hardywood Park Craft Brewery.
• Get into the commerce spirit at The Santaland Diaries at Drafthouse Comedy.
• Funny man in a funny hat Judah Friedlander begins a run at the DC Improv.
• Play some boozy bingo at Rock & Roll Hotel.
• Fictional film It’s A Wonderful Life teaches the lesson that evil billionaires don’t win. Fiction. It screens Thursday at AFI Silver Spring.
• Young Santa Action Bronson says four letter words at Fillmore Silver Spring.
• Get into the holiday spirit at the Folger for the Lo How a Rose E’er Blooming: Seasonal Early Music of Germany concert.
• Berlin’s Owen Ross and D.C.’s Teething Veils play Comet Ping Pong.
• Drink some drinks inspired by Charles Dickens at Petworth Citizen.
• Red Death plays their record release show at DC9.
• Nick Cannon Presents: Wild ‘N Out Live! at Capital One Arena. This show has the best street team presence. We’ve seen signs and posters for it everywhere. Great job, Nick Cannon street team! If you’re willing to drop $159, you can get an autograph with Mr. Ex-Mariah.
• Dance with Ookay at 9:30 Club.
• Visit the Heurich House Museum mini markt. They spell it markt.
• A Very Daggy Christmas Crafty Daggers featuring Stylus Chris & Harry Hotter, Thomas Blondet, and Double A are at U Hall. That’s a lot of daggy?
Do some daytime stuff:
• Last chance to purchase some last minute gifts at the Downtown Holiday Market.
• Catch a matinee of Nina Simone: Four Women at Arena Stage.
• Buy some books! Read our suggestions on what books to buy! We are good at recommending books!
• A Christmas Story screens at 4:20 at AFI Silver Spring.
• Buy some records and/or other gifts at Songbyrd.
Go home, take a nap and regroup for the best evening:
• Up and coming D.C. acts Echelon The Seeker, Dreamcast, OG Lullabies, Redline Graffiti, FootsXColes, Flash Frequency share a very full 9:30 Club bill.
• Walk down the street from 9:30 Club to 600 T and have a drink.
• Zoo Lights! They’re closed Christmas Eve and Christmas night.
• Suns Cinema screens Home Alone. Macaulay Culkin (I’ve spelled his name correctly 0 times before Google) is still alive and that is suprising. I’m glad he’s alive. I hope he’s happy and healthy. Or just happy. [Puts after shave on face] Ahhhhhh!
• The Jewish ResisDANCE 2017 is upstairs at Sudhouse.
• HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVE DAY!
For your viewing pleasure:
• Spend your long weekend revisiting our always golden Murder Mystery Streaming Guide. Cold weather is perfect for murder.
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• Look at some pretty lights at Light Yards at The Yards. Good luck giving Google directions!
• Look at some pretty blue lights at Chai-vy and Cohen-y, a Hanukkah Bar
• Look at some pretty drag queens at Nellie’s Drag Brunch.
• Free waffles at Dew Drop Inn.
• AFI Silver Spring screens Die Hard.
• Today is the one day a year all Smithsonian Museums are closed! Be aware! Maybe aware isn’t the right word.
• The Kennedy Center is open and features their All-Star Christmas Day Jazz Jam on the Millennium Stage at 6 p.m.
• Read about Fashion Santa. It’s his birthday! We’re assuming it’s his birthday.
• See a movie. Here are our 11 favorites of 2017.
And just like that both Christmas and the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, keep up the good work.