Hey everyone! This week’s long selection of weekend events on D.C. BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress and have La La Land as a theme, because… OSCARS!
Some really cool things on the horizon:
- Some BIG, MASSIVE, SUPER SHINY announcements coming up so: stay forever in the loop and follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest. Use #BYThings too.
- Can you even contain the excitement?
- We went to the Hirshhorn’s Kusama exhibition and took all of the pictures and wrote all the words about it.
- We stepped inside Julie Wolfe’s gorgeous studio.
- These are the 17 sandwiches you need in your life in 2017.
- This is how you build a guitar.
- Pretty essential guide to PIZZA.
- Speaking of, we talked #Pizzagate with No Joy.
- And announced the #WeDC SXSW finalists.
- Plus, we brought you our weekly FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN D.C. & SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK & EATING OUT. USE THEM.
- SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic are at the Howard. You can see their spaceship at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
• See D.C. band brushes perform at Luce Unplugged. It’s one of the prettiest places to see a band in D.C.
• Tedeschi Trucks Band is at the Warner.
• Or maybe go check out Pissed Jeans at Black Cat.
• Nat Geo is throwing a New Orleans themed party because why the hell not.
• Get drunk on delicious Founders beer at Meridian Pint.
• Then go dance and eat all of the xiao long bao at Ten Tigers’ Regrets Only.
• Rock the Stacks at DCPL is the pick of the night. It’s going to be awesome.
• If you’re in the mood to see a movie and pay absolutely nothing, head to the Georgetown Library and catch Dear White People.
• Or go see one of the most charming movies ever at Suns Cinema.
• Cameo is at the Howard. That’s 2 nights in a row with good stuff.
• Intelligence opens at the Arena Stage.
• Catch one of our favorite local bands Baby Bry Bry (and Julie Bryne!) at Songbyrd.
• Or if you’re in the mood for a house show, go see Bad Moves at The Void.
• Ritmos Raros is back at Songbyrd with some sweet Brazilian music.
• If you need some R&B in your life, NSO Pops is teaming up with Ledisi at the Kennedy Center.
• Drink all of the unpronounceable beer at Churchkey.
• Speaking of beer, Denizens brews are going to be out in full force at Republic.
• SWALTB, The Nuclears, and Cherry Pits play at Slash Run.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Roller derby is at the DC Armory.
• There’s going to be a rally in support of the ACA at Lafayette Square.
• There’s a WPOW seminar / portfolio review at the Corcoran if you want to talk to some badass photojournalists.
• Do some yoga at the Botanical Garden!
• Then head to Lab 1270 for a sweet menswear pop up.
• Adrian Miller talks about his book The President’s Kitchen Cabinet at Politics & Prose.
Then go home and regroup before tonight:
• The biggest part of the night is the Mardi Gras Extravaganza at Dock 5. Not only will there be plenty of food and booze, but there’s also going to be a Hurricane competition and lots of music.
• Or you could check out Mardi Gras Fest at Black Jack if you’d prefer to party indoors.
• Plus, Bayou is throwing their annual Mardi Gras party, if you’re more of a traditionalist.
• Tropicalia is throwing a dance party in honor of Beyonce being pregnant with twins, if that’s a thing you’re into.
• Head back to the Black Cat for the 15th anniversary of Cryfest!
• Drink up at the DC Distillers Fest. Rum is the perfect fake summer drink.
• Bone Thugs-N-Harmony is at Fillmore Silver Spring.
• Palberta, Puff Pieces and Bless are at Slash Run.
• Or you can go see Nick Hakim at Songbyrd.
• There’s also Red Light Distraction at Black Cat.
HAPPY ACADEMY AWARDS DAY! Here is our really good guide to who will will and who should win.
Plus, for your other staying-in-viewing pleasure:
Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
leaving the house?
• Hirshhorn is screening Performance and the Body: Yayoi Kusama which you can go to even if you DON’T have a timed ticket for that day.
• Do a good deed today! Head to Potter’s House for Food For Thought: Food Deserts. Learn from an expert panel about people who cannot access fresh, healthy food and how you can help.
• Or get drunk in an igloo at Ice Yards.
• Rules of the Game is playing at Suns Cinema if you missed this when you were a film major your freshman year.
• There’s a Up In Smoke party at Flash if you want to spend your day hanging out with D.C.’s best weed vendors.
• If you’re going to watch the Oscar’s anywhere that isn’t your couch, the French Embassy is a good bet.
• Unless you want to get drunk and eat some of the cities best nachos while you watch La La Land sweep all the awards, then we recommend Smith Public Trust.
• Eat as much as you can at Ramen World 3.
• The Wizards take on the Jazz at Verizon Center. Fun fact: the Wizards are good!
• Swing by the 2017 DC Black History Film Festival at the Lincoln Theatre.
• X-Man David Duchovny brings his Californication-inspired tunes to Birchmere.
• Leopold and His Fiction is at Black Cat.
• Every cent you tip at Atlas Brew Works will be matched by the brewery and go to the American Lung Association.
• Learn more about The Murder of Willie Lincoln at Politics & Prose.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. No excuses:
Till Next time, don’t forget to keep dancing: