all photos: Franz Mahr, Dakota Fine, Jeff Martin, Andy DelGiudice, Clarissa Villondo, Nicholas Karlin & Ryan Kelly
So, you guys all that happened. AGAIN. Five Full Days of Amazing. Six venues, ten shows, several (magical) afterparties, a Segway tour, a library of Congress tour, NUMEROUS White House VISITS (to bowl and otherwise), Charity Brunches, Pirate Cruises and 35 out of town comedians later, we all made it through Bentzen Ball 2014. THE FESTIVAL IS BARELY OVER AND WE MISS IT ALREADY (don’t worry, it IS coming back in 2015, hell or high water).
So, we had SEVEN photographers on hand and they did the best job anyone has ever done covering a comedy festival (since last year, at least). On the scene, behind the scenes, in between scenes – they got it all. After all the ONLY true problem with Bentzen Ball is that you cannot be everywhere at the same time. YOU WISH YOU CAN BUT YOU CAN’T/ Therefore, this is THE photo set you want to see: not just every show, but the comedians hanging, eating, drinking, rolling around DC and just relaxing.
But before we dive into the photos, a few thank yous:
- to Tig for keeping this dream alive with us, five years later (and forever more)
- to all the comedians for flying/driving/training down to DC for this. Their schedules are insane and for all of them to be here at the same time-we just want to hug you all over again
- all the local comedians too-you guys were amazing
- our amazing venues and their staff: 9:30 CLUB, LINCOLN THEATRE, FILLMORE, KENNEDY CENTER, BLACK CAT & WONDERLAND (& LISNER TOO)- you were ALL FLAWLESS.
- HRC for being our official partner (perfect timing too, since last weekend was National Coming Out Day)
- our sponsors: HEINEKEN, MPAA, CAR2GO, HAILO and KIMPTON for making sure the talent is driven, hydrated and well rested at all times.
- Scott Drewno & Tommy McFly and The Source by Wolfgang Puck for hosting this year’s charity event – BREAST CANCER BITES. Learn more about early breast cancer detection and donate to the GW Mammogram Van Unit Here.
- our hospitality partners: EAT THE RICH, ROOFERS UNION, THE SHEPPHARD, BOOMERANG PIRATE SHIP, &PIZZA, BRIXTON, KIND BARS and SHAKE SHACK -for keeping the food and drink and after party levels SKY HIGH during this experience. You should go to all of them all the time.
- WeWork for both hosting the BYT offices AND the Friday night afterparty at the Wonderbread Factory AND STILL NOT EVICTING US (You Guys are THE BEST!)
- White House & Library of Congress for organizing behind the scenes tours for the comedians
- Peligroso Tequila, Tanqueray & Ketel One for donating liquor to the afterparties
- CAPITAL SEGWAY for forever being our segway tour host
- ONOMONOMEDIA for all the photobooths (a separate set on this is coming up)
- all the amazing press people who helped spread the good word about this
- our staff for crushing through the weekend without any sleep or rest or anything but adrenaline and a deep desire for this to be great
- our photo team for documenting all of this
- and, of course, ALL OF YOU for making your way over to these shows. WE LOVE YOU FOR IT.
Wednesday night involved: people arriving and an EPIC OPENING NIGHT SHOW with Tig, Kyle Kinane, Ben Kronberg, Jeff Garlin, Kate Berlant, Brandon Wetherbee and an after hours hang at Eat The Rich. Check out the full photo set from it HERE.
Library of Congress Tour
AND A SEGWAY TOUR:
and then it was on to THREE SHOWS THAT NIGHT: Wild Horses, The Puterbaugh Sisters, Mother Knuckle, Mike Lebovitz @ Kennedy Center Millennium Stage
meanwhile @ 930 club Eugene Mirman, Seaton Smith, Myq Kaplan, Dave Hill, Kate Berlant, Jenn Tisdale and Sean Joyce took the stage:
and at Fillmore Todd Barry, Kyle Kinane, Henry Phillips, Mike Lebovitz, Liza Treyger, Adam Friedland, Nik Oldershaw and Stephanie Hasz crushed
After Party was @ Roofers Union. It was HEAVEN.
Friday: the comedians had breakfast at Ted’s Bulletin Breakfast, Rob Corddry, Kate Flannery and Tig made an appearance on ABC’s Lets Talk Live AND WE WENT WHITE HOUSE BOWLING.
Morning show good times:
BOWLING!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!! (we couldn’t edit these down)
and at night, the shows involved THIS DREAM TEAM: Rob Corddry, John Hodgman, The Lampshades, Jena Friedman, Jamel Johnson, Henry Phillips, The Puterbaugh Sisters @ The Lincoln Theatre
A great sold-out CHURCH NIGHT @ Wonderland
cue: The After Party @ We Work (DJed by Brendan Canty of FUGAZI, because because). Also: cute puppies:
Somehow, they woke up, and we all headed to the BREAST CANCER BITES Brunch @ The Source. Tig & Jena Friedman joined Chef Scott Drewno and host Tommy McFly for some hands-on dumpling making and pork Yom Kippur memories.
then, bellies full, onto the Boomerang Pirate Ship for a romantic getaway cruise on the Potomac and some tasteful photo opps and walk-the-plank shots:
That night we had 3 shows: 1 sold out extravaganza @ 930 club (with Retta, Lil’ Sebastian, Wyatt Cenac, Aparna Nancherla, Liza Treyger, Henry Phillips, Andrew Bucket and special surprise sets by Tig AND Jermaine Fowler). #MIRACLES
and then two more sold outs at the Black Cat with 8×8 with Brandon Wetherbee, Stephanie Hasz, Liza Treyger, Mike Lebovitz, Kyle Martin, Natalie McGill, Josh Kuderna, Katherine Jessup, Rachel Dry, Howard Lester
and another late 8×8 with The Puterbaugh Sisters, Jamel Johnson, Adam Friedland, Katie McVay, Matty Litwack, Chelsea Shorte, Ryan Schutt, Elahe Izadi, David Carter, Jena Friedman, Bill Metzger @ Black Cat
Sunday night was the closing ceremonies with the miracle line-up of: Reggie Watts, Tig Notaro, Wham City, John F O’Donnell, Mike Lebovitz, Michael Foody, Mother Knuckle @ The Lincoln Theatre and an afterparty hang at The Shepard
and that IS A WRAP YOU GUYS. See you all next year.