Mexico City is big. Bigger than any city in the United States. So there are no shortage of excellent bars. There are super fancy, expensive cocktail bars. There are dive bars that cater to ugly Americans. There are mezcalerias better than anywhere in the world. If you’re going for a mezcaleria, go to La Clandestina, but you already knew that because The New York Times told you to go (and you should, it’s really great). But a bar that is unlike anything you’ll find in D.C. is Tlachiquero in Colonia Roma.
There are 5 reasons I love this very small, narrow bar.
- The mezcal is great.
- The beer is cold. Cold beer pairs quite well with mezcal.
- That’s about all that’s on the menu. Mezcal, beer and a pulque. That’s it. If you don’t want any of that, don’t go to Tlachiquero. A bar that only serves a few things and does it well is better than any fully stocked decent bar.
- The regulars are polite. I barely speak Spanish. For as much as I enjoy Mexico City, it’s offensive how little of the language I speak. Yet no one was justifiably unpleasant. This includes the bartenders and bodyguards.
- The music is at the perfect level. There’s a DJ and a live DJ in a packed room usually means a very loud bar but at Tlachiquero it’s just loud enough to recognize the artist and song while being able to maintain a conversation. This may be the most overlooked aspect in any bar. Regardless of the size of the space or the size of the bar, most every place is way too loud for no good reason.
I do not desire to be pressed against others. My ideal bar is my home with a few friends. Despite my hesitance to be that near other drinkers, I could not have had a better time at Tlachiquero. If a bar’s main features are all things I’d normally despise and I have a good time, I have found a great bar.
Tlachiquero, Avenida Cuauhtémoc, Roma Nte., 06700 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico, is open Wednesday through Saturday 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Feature image from the Tlachiquero Facebook page.
More Bars Worth Traveling To:
- The Bar at Hotel Particulier – Paris, France
- Alfredo’s Cantina – Monterey, California
- Container Bar – Austin, Texas
- Bellwoods Brewery – Toronto, Canada
- The Neighber’s – Omaha, Nebraska
- Maps – Portland, Maine
- Melvyn’s Restaurant & Lounge – Palm Springs, California
- Dino’s – Nashville, Tennessee
- Mikkeller & Friends – Reykjavík, Iceland
- Nice Guys Pizza and Beer – Cape Coral, Florida
- Zeitgest – San Francisco, California
- The Sitting Room at Delahunt – Dublin, Ireland
- The Country Club – New Orleans, Louisiana