Full disclosure: I’ve only been to Omaha twice and on those two trips I’ve only been to two bars, O’Leaver’s Pub and The Neighber’s. If you’re a hip young person, you’ll definitely end up at the punk-friendly O’Leavers for some Uncle Bananas shots (ask a local!), live music or a comedy show. And I don’t blame you, all that stuff is great! But you will not have that experience at The Neighber’s.
First of all, I have no idea why their name is spelled like that. Typo? A person’s name? I was too afraid to ask my bartender in front of the grizzled clientele watching Fox News at 2 p.m. I wear Warby Parkers, folks.
I had gotten into town early for a show that night and this was the only open bar I could find. I split a pitcher with two friends while we watched just about every demographic of person walk through the door, shoot some pool and have an extremely cheap beer. A small crew of early 20s black construction workers still in their orange vests sitting next to a one legged white dude in overalls with a 2 foot long salt and pepper beard shootin’ the shit about baseball? Absolutely. This seemed like the most common occurrence in the world and that I was an asshole for even noticing. This is maybe the purest working class bar I’ve seen in America. Nurses, farmers, and bikers all hanging out for maybe the earliest and longest happy hour I’ve ever witnessed: 6:30 a.m. til noon. Please put that part in bold.
Maybe this isn’t the same kind unique themed destination bar like some others in this series, but those other bars are all bullshit, man. This is the kind of bar where you could legitimately say “leave the bottle” at 9 a.m. and not get looks. Should you find yourself in Omaha, at any hour of the day, know that you can certainly down some $2 beer and shoot some pool with some of Nebraska’s finest.
The Neighber’s, 4689 Leavenworth St, Omaha, NE 68106, is open everyday from 6:30 a.m. to 2 a.m.
More Bars Worth Traveling To:
- The Bar at Hotel Particulier – Paris, France
- Alfredo’s Cantina – Monterey, California
- Container Bar – Austin, Texas
- Bellwoods Brewery – Toronto, Canada
- Maps – Portland, Maine
- Melvyn’s Restaurant & Lounge – Palm Springs, California
- Dino’s – Nashville, Tennessee
- Mikkeller & Friends – Reykjavík, Iceland
- Nice Guys Pizza and Beer – Cape Coral, Florida
- Zeitgest – San Francisco, California
- The Sitting Room at Delahunt – Dublin, Ireland
- Tlachiquero – Mexico City, Mexico
- The Country Club – New Orleans, Louisiana