Okay, now that the hot mess of Black Friday and Cyber Monday is behind us, we are officially in the red (& green) zone. Christmas is four weeks away. Now we cast our minds off from storming Best Buy for televisions and toys and focus on what really matters during the holidays – tiny boots filled with hot wine and hand-carved wood things. And everything else sold at all those awesome Holiday Markets popping up around DC. DC’s markets are seriously lacking on the gluhwein front, which is my personal favorite part of the holidays, but they make up for it in terms of crafts for sale. There are so many crafts.
We JUST PUBLISHED a great gift guide (all locally purchasable, natch) for you but for now, here is a solid list of one-day and beyond pop-ups to get your holiday shopping done WHILE supporting the local economy, in an easy-to-share-with-your-friends format. Even if all we want for Christmas is you:
- Alexandria Holiday Market, Fridays Saturdays and Sundays through December 22nd – Every weekend up until the one before Christmas, Alexandria hosts an outdoor, European style Christmas market. They have an assortment of food and craft vendors that change by the weekend, though many are there the whole time. Many weekends feature live music to make your shopping even more festive.
- ROCK-N-SHOP-the annual rock’n’roll garage sale @ Black Cat on December 18th – Hunting for that perfect holiday gift for your vinyl loving, rock shirt wearing, slightly eccentric friend? Stop right there, my friend! Rock-n-Shop is where it’s all at. This annual junk sale offers more than the standard fare…for one thing, it’s not all junk… It’s got crafts, records, t-shirts and whatever else vendors come up with. Yet another magical Christmas mystery.
- THE DOWNTOWN HOLIDAY MARKET @ 8th and F Streets NW, through 23rd – For the 12th year in a row, 60+ exhibitors will set up “shop” in front of the National Portrait gallery to offer everything from jewelry to ceramics to textiles to German food staples and more.
- GRUMP @ Crystal City, December 17 – Grump has relocated from the now closed Artisphere (RIP) to an 8,000 sq ft space in Crystal City. 8,000 square feet of vendors almost guarantees that you’ll find something you like. It offers goods from assorted local vendors and gives you the chance to take your photo with Grump the Yeti, because it’s not the holidays if you’re not posing with strangers dressed up in fluffy costumes. Points for being more creative than your typical mall Santa.
LOCAL DESIGNERS AND CRAFTERS GALORE:
- DC Makers Market @ East City Book Shop, December 11 – Browse for some books while you buy some fitting locally made goods like handmade journals, cards and letterpress. They’ll also have t shirts, pottery and more, if you’re into the more traditional holiday market fair.
- Holidaze @ Fenton Street Market, December 11 – what you can expect to find: original artwork, handmade and imported crafts, antiques, bath and body products, clothing, jewelry, kids toys and more. You’ll be sure to find one-of-a-kind gifts for everyone on your list all in one place. Vendors will be running sales on their merchandise for the holidays, offering gift sets, and gift wrapping options.
- Rosslyn Holiday Market and Bonfire @ Gateway Park, December 9 – 10 – The Rossyln Holiday Market hosts 25 local vendors that include gift options for your pets, in case you were worried that your gift for your cat would be yet another disappointment. They have spiced sangria and mulled cider, and that’s something worth crossing the river for even if you buy nothing else.
- Made In DC Pop Up Shop, December 10 – 11 – This pop up shop has different vendors depending on which day you stop by, which means you have a great reason to go back (and buy more things like the consumer whore you are). BYT favorites like Black Pearl Tarts, Teerritory, Handmade Habitat, and Harper Macaw will be there along with a dozen other amazing D.C. companies. If you care about shopping local, this is a great way to do it.
- Upshur Street Art & Craft Fair, December 10 – From 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. head down the 800 block of Upshur Street to check out the Art & Craft fair. Check out times from Willow DC, Fia’s Fabulous Finds, Upshur Street Books, and Bently’s Vintage Furniture while enjoying food from Timber Pizza Company, Petworth Citizen, and Slim’s.
STYLISH AND TRENDY:
- Holiday Pop-up @ 116 King – Now through December 31, head down to Old Town, Alexandria, which honestly looks like a Christmas town year round, and pick up clothes and accessories (for your house and your person) in 116 King’s pop up. It features designers from around the country and is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day, giving you plenty of time to shop.
- Steadfast Supply @ Arris, October – January – While this isn’t holiday related, the folks at Steadfast Supply were all over our gift guide, so it’s close enough in our book. From October through NYE, Steadfast will be operting a pop up at the Arris Apartment in Navy Yard. From clothes, to accessories, to other cool shit, they’ve got your back. Just try not to spend your entire paycheck.
Let us know if we missed anything in the comments