Ok-now that the hot mess of Black Friday and Cyber Monday is behind us, and Christmas is but 2 weekends away (WHAT?) we can focus on what really matters: all those awesome Holiday Markets that are popping up around DC.
We JUST PUBLISHED a great gift guide (all locally purchasable, natch) for you but for now, here is a solid list of one-day and beyond pop-ups to get your holiday shopping done WHILE supporting the local economy, in an easy-to-share-with-your-friends format. Even if all we want for Christmas is you:
- ROCK-N-SHOP-the annual rock’n’roll garage sale @ Black Cat on December 19th. Hunting for that perfect holiday gift? Looking to augment your hardcore collection with some essential records? Searching for the perfect T-shirt? Stop right there, my friend! Rock-n-Shop is where it’s all at. This annual junk sale offers more than the standard fare…for one thing, it’s not all junk…
- THE DOWNTOWN HOLIDAY MARKET @ 8th and F Streets NW, through 23rd, Noon-8pm Daily. For the 8th year in a row, 60+ exhibitors will set up “shop” in front of the National Portrait gallery to offer everything from jewelry to ceramics to textiles and more.
- DECK THE HALLS – December 9th to 20th. Presented and sponsored by the Georgetown Business Improvement District (BID), celebrating the holiday season with 12 days of special store sales and events, seasonal festivities, live entertainment, holiday activities, and more. Full list of events and deals can be found here.
LOCAL DESIGNERS AND CRAFTERS GALORE:
- GRUMP @ Artisphere – Saturday, December 15th, 10-4pm: GRUMP is an annual, alternative holiday craft show and is a very solid opportunity to shop local this holiday season. Join 40 of your favorite local makers and score everything from kids clothing made from vintage t-shirts and handmade soap to plush anteaters to t-shirts about zombies eating pizza. It is pretty much like shopping Etsy.com in real life, but without having to rely on a search function. And with a tacky-sweater photo booth and DJ!
- Night Market @ Ulysses Room – Saturday, Dec 15th, 7-11pm – we actually shot our holiday gift guide in this newly opened space and now, this weekend you can stop by yourself and grab holiday gifts by our favorite local designers & boutiques while eating gourmet ice-cream sandwiches under our ivy-ringed skylight. Nothing not to like. Vendors include DeNada, Mutiny, Worn Abroad, Saint Clair Jewelry, Kelly Towles and many more!
- THE GIVING MARKET @ UNION MARKET – Saturday, December 15th and Sunday, December 16th, 8am-8pm – This weekend marketplace will feature handpicked vendors dedicated to eco-conscious art, craft and design, plus family-friendly activities, with a special focus on local artists, businesses and nonprofits that “give back” to the environment or the community. Bonus: Bring a canned food item or clothing donation to support a local relief organization
- Fenton Street Market – Saturday, December 22nd – what you can expect to find: original artwork, handmade and imported crafts, antiques, bath and body products, clothing, jewelry, kids toys and more. You’ll be sure to find one-of-a-kind gifts for everyone on your list all in one place. Vendors will be running sales on their merchandise for the holidays, offering gift sets, and gift wrapping options. BONUS: music courtesy of Capital Accord Chorus & Bethel World Outreach Church.
STYLISH and FOR A GOOD CAUSE:
- WORN Magazine + GOODWILL Pop-Up Shop: our friends over at WORN Magazine have teamed with the Goodwill of Greater Washington and their partners Pepco and Gensler to bring you Edited for Goodwill, a Holiday Pop Up Shop December 12-14.
Let us know if we missed anything in the comments