There are an incredible amount of organizations doing important work right now, and it can feel overwhelming to figure out where to direct your immediate attention. In the spirit of helping you gradually digest your options, and in hopes of potentially introducing you to some causes you might not have heard about yet, we’re briefing you on 5 initiatives to consider each week; while donating is not (and should not be) the only way to affect positive change, it is a 100% helpful practice if you have the means, and is a great habit to get into year-round.
Here are 5 places we suggested last week, and below are 5 more to consider this week:
Broadway for Racial Justice
BFRJ works to promote racial justice and equity by providing immediate resources, assistance, and amplification for BIPOC in the Broadway and Theatrical community at-large. You can donate here, and definitely tune in for their Amplified virtual fundraiser (ft. loads of performances) this Friday, August 21st at 8pm ET via YouTube.
The Laundromat Project
This NYC-based nonprofit makes sustained investments in growing a community of multiracial, multigenerational, and multidisciplinary artists and neighbors committed to societal change via support of their artmaking, community building and leadership development. Donate here.
Soul Fire Farm
Soul Fire Farm is a BIPOC*-centered community farm committed to ending racism and injustice in the food system. Be sure to tune into the below virtual programming (all times listed are ET), and support their work here:
- August 19, 2020: Pasture Raised Poultry 3D Skill Share, 5-6:30pm, Zoom
- August 26, 2020: Uprooting Racism Training, 1-4pm, Virtual (Leah)
- August 27, 2020: Seedkeeping 3D Skill Share, 5-6:30pm, Zoom
- September 3, 2020: Medicinal Herbs 3D Skill Share, 5-6:30pm, Zoom
- September 17, 2020: Agroforesty 3D Skill Share, 5-6:30pm, Zoom
- September 24, 2020: Soil Health 3D Skill Share, 5-6:30pm, Zoom
- October 4, 2020: Uprooting Racism Training, 1-4pm, Virtual (Leah)
- October 7, 2020: Mushroom Cultivation 3D Skill Share, 5-6:30, Zoom
- October 14, 2020: Carpentry 3D Skill Share, 5-6:30, Zoom
- November 11, 2020: Uprooting Racism Training, 1-4pm, Virtual (Leah)
- November 14, 2020: Transnational Black Feminist Online Series, 1pm (Leah)
The Brown Ascenders
TBA is a nonprofit organization created by BIPOC climbers for BIPOC climbers. Their goal is to boost accessibility of outdoor spaces, outdoor related education and recreation for BIPOC adults and youths, while cultivating outlets for community, representation, and growth. Donate to their work here.
This nonprofit works to enhance the well-being of black children, youth and families by encouraging philanthropy, community service and advocacy in the DC metropolitan area. It’s a great local spot to support, and you can donate here.
Where have you been donating lately? Is there someplace close to your heart that you’d like us to talk about? Email [email protected] to get in touch.