by Dana Mahr
Okay okay, we all know fashion is more than just a way to protect ourselves from the elements; it’s a form of self-expression and in some cases, it can be a serious work of art. In other cases, we can only enjoy the sense of humor some people must have if they are willing to go out into the world wearing what some of these celebrities have dared to adorn –at least I can only hope it’s a joke.
So, here is our brief list of train-wrecks of celebrity fashion of 2011. Some of which are fully expected (the Kims, Snookis etc of the world) and some are more in the category of “when bad clothes happen to good people” In no particular order:
- Michelle Williams at the Golden Globes – We love you Michelle, but what is it with nude tones lately? I’m thinking bland cereal. Skin color hues don’t work for anyone.
- Helena Bonham Carter at Golden Globes - A personal favorite of mine, Helena has always enjoyed her turn around the crazy homeless lady block and I can see why she would think mismatched shoes would be cool but what’s with the dress?
- Leighton Meester at Golden Globes - Again with the nude tones. I find it ironic that at an award show someone would want to blend in.
- Cate Blanchett at the Oscars – Mother of pearl, she’s missing her centerpiece. How embarrassing. (p.s. it should be noted that we WILL love Parker Posey 4ever no matter what she wears)
- Florence Welch at the Oscars- For someone who sings about violent romance, I expected a little more flair.
- Virginia Madsen at the Oscars – So, so, so many textures. It’s too much.
- Katy Perry at The Smurfs premiere in NYC- So many Katy Perry moments, so little time. Still, this dress takes the cake. In true Smurfette fashion, minus the hat.
- Nicki Minaj at MTV VMAs - Actually, I’m really digging that surgical mask. Work it, girl.
- Rihanna at the Grammys- Next Halloween everyone will be half-way dressed as a mummy. Just watch.
- Kim Kardashian outside Vera Wang’s Bridal House NYC- Unfortunately wearing leopard print clothing doesn’t make the image go away any faster. Please go away faster, like, right meow.
- Marcia Cross at CFDA Fashion Awards NYC- If desperate for attention didn’t come to mind before….
- Ke$ha at Billboard Music Awards- I hope she was more enthusiastic about burning the dress than she clearly wasn’t about wearing it.
- Anne Hathaway at Rio Premiere in LA
- Jared Leto Paris Fashion Week- I think I get it? I mean, this is a joke right?
- LeAnne Rimes at The Trevor Project’s 2011 Trevor Live!- So this is like, symbol for peas? Like peas in a pod? Now what do cute peas in a pod remind me of? Maybe…
- Parker Posey at the screening of Madonna’s movie “W.E.” at the MOMA in New York City- I hear ya loud and cloud there Parker. Loud and clear. (p.s. it should be noted that we WILL love Parker Posey 4ever no matter what she wears)
- Kanye West with Jay-Z at the Verizon Center- Am I seeing this right? Wolves eating his ovaries (they can smell the swagger) paired with a leather kilt and leather pants? I don’t get it….
- Snooki at Las Vegas book signing- It’s not surprising that she’d dress for a rave, what’s shocking is all those books behind her.
Your picks now: