All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy lunchtime, DC! It looks like Repeal day wasn’t enough for us, as the week and weekend are full of drinking related events with everything from beer to bourbon to champagne. But all in good spirits, because most of them are holiday spirits. We’ve got food porn, openings, Holiday Hosting Guides, and everything else you need to make the season delicious. Dig in!
This week in BYT food:
- In our new series of Holiday Hosting Guides, Holley Simmons guides you through hot drinks for cold nights…
- …and Nycci Nellis presents her secrets to hosting the perfect holiday brunch.
- City Tap House opens on the district’s first snow day so that you can stay warm by gorging on delicious things.
- We visited Urbana’s cooking class for a session on pasta making, and are preparing for the subsequent holiday carbloading.
- Gingertown DC opened on U Street and we carefully examined this holiday pastry oasis.
- Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s Ben Kroll is the subject of our latest Drink Diary installment. Envy ensues.
- Dolcezza Gelato opened a 4,000 square foot factory over the weekend, and it is truly the stuff of dreams.
- We went to the Repeal Day Ball for a boozy celebration of booze.
- Republic opens in Takoma Park for those of you who are into growing food scenes and drinks on fire.
Upcoming food events:
- Tonight, the Museum of the American Cocktail hosts their sixth annual holiday cocktail seminar.
- Beucherts sticks with bubbly at their evening of grower-produced champagne with Dean & Deluca, also tonight.
- And because we haven’t enough drinking options, the DC Cocktail Wars are tonight at Carriage House.
- Tomorrow, the French Embassy hosts a 5-course holiday wine dinner to benefit Little Brothers of the Poor.
- Also tomorrow, Bazaar Spices presents a class and tasting about botanical drink infusions.
- On Friday, Loudon County’s Catoctin Creek Distillery presents a Wandering Chef pairing dinner that is well worth the drive.
- The Filson Bourbon Academy hits Jack Rose on Saturday to whip your drinking skills into shape.
- Osteria Marzano spends Saturday with holiday cooking classes in their own kitchen, lead by Chef Marzano himself.
- Cork’s 4th annual community gingerbread house decorating party is also on Saturday.
- The Give a Shuck Oysterfest at Mussel Bar in Bethesda rounds out your Saturday dining options quite nicely.
- On Sunday, 3 Star Brewing hosts their 2nd annual artists & artisans holiday extravaganza.
- De Dolle brings a beer pairing dinner to Pizza Paradisio’s Georgetown Location, also on Sunday.
- Monday boasts a Planeta Wine Dinner at Mike Isabella’s G Sandwich Shop.
- It’s also the Four Season’s 5th annual fireside cocktail night at Bourbon Steak.
- Holiday Tea at Tudor Place is yet another warming option for what will surely be a freezing Tuesday afternoon.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Mike Huff joins BlackSalt as the new executive chef and debuts new menu items, available immediately.
- Urban Butcher opens in Silver Spring tomorrow, with charcuterie, butchery and dining options under one roof.
- Thrillist rounds up the best late night eateries in the district.
- Top Chefs Tom Colicchio and Mike Isabella talk about US food policy and the food policy scorecard.
- Apparently, a larger latte means higher status at work. Wait, really?
- Watch the trailer for the probably anticipated Sriracha: The Movie.