All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to email@example.com.
Happy lunchtime, DC! We’ve got the latest in openings that will inspire all sorts of elaborate date night plans, fresh fall menus, all the Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving prep your stomachs could desire, Beaujolais Nouveau happenings to keep you busy tonight, jaw-dropping food photos, and so much more. Dig in!
This week in BYT Food:
- Parents coming to town for the holidays? We’ve got you prepped to impress them in every scenario possible.
- Last week, we present to you the LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC, 2013 edition. Always relevant.
- We got to taste test the new fall menu at Masa 14, bringing together the best of asian and latin comfort food.
- Say hello to your favorite new (but actually old) date spot: Iron Gate reopens and is beyond lovely.
- Osteria Morini opens soon, and we’ve got the jaw-dropping first look at the stunning food and even more stunning restaurant.
- We also stopped by El Centro for their Mole (the food, not the animal) festival. Tradition has never been so delectable.
- We’ve got your Beaujolais Nouveau-centric updates in this edition of Happy Hour Hotline, because we care.
- If you’re entering the finicky realm of Friendsgiving, we’ve got some pointers for you.
- We reviewed Hungry, a documentary about the world of competitive eating. You’ll either be inspired, or incredibly uncomfortable.
- And finally, a friendly reminder that TOMORROW is the last day for nominations for our BYT YEARBOOK.
Upcoming food events:
- Vinoteca’s Green Hat Gin cocktail contest is tonight, featuring guest judges and plenty to snack on.
- Cider Week continues with a cider and cheese workshop at Ellwood Thompson’s.
- At Crown Liquors, Bloomery Plantation Distillery hosts a mixology class focused on their brand new spirit, Sweetshine.
- The Local Vine Cellar sees the return of the Anti-Beaujolais Nouveau Celebration and hones in on complex varieties tonight as well.
- Slate Wine Bar offers another boozy option tonight: a wine dinner with Vinia-Anecoop.
- Head to a holiday pies class tonight or tomorrow night at Buzz Bakery, lead by Tiffany Maclsaac.
- Tomorrow, Black Whiskey hosts and collaborates with Topaz + Arrow for their November workshop: Manhattans, Bottles and Bitters.
- Baltimore’s Waterfront Kitchen continues in a series of four-course greenhouse dinners with guest winery pairings.
- Also tomorrow, Del Campo hosts Street Foods or South America with Argentinian and Chilean wine pairings.
- Spend Friday and Saturday at Old Ebbitt Grill for Oyster Riot 2013, boasting 25 varieties of oysters from both coasts.
- Also on Friday, Rocklands Farm hosts a fusion of farm and forest to table event: a farmhouse winery dinner.
- Politics and Prose brings the one and only Alice Waters to Buck’s Fishing and Camping for “The Art of Simple Food II.”
- Cider Week activities culminate on Saturday at Castle Hill Cider for the annual cider festival.
- On Tuesday, Greg Engert of Bluejacket gives a lesson (and tasting) on the history of beer at the LivingSocial building.
- And this time next week, Cashion’s brings together chefs and mixologist for a Typhoon Haiyan Relief Night.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Here’s the Beaujolais breakdown on where to find the best stuff, and what makes that stuff so good.
- Ris joins Union Market’s roster of fantastic fall-to-winter popups.
- Astro Doughnuts boasts Thanksgiving and Chanukah donuts form November 25 to December 5.
- Watch as Mandu’s Danny Lee makes fresh tofu— it’s ten times more riveting than it sounds.
- Martha Steward is failing at food porn pretty miserably. We didn’t think it was possible.
- On the flipside, Bon Appétit is all about the inner beauty of food, and finds fruits and vegetables that boast just that.
- Eater DC Award winners have been announced. You may or may not rage hard when reading the results.
- But they make up for it (a little) with a great new map of the most decadent desserts in the district.
- Modern Farmer brings you the food chart you’ve always beet waiting for: a pie chart of pies.