All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready for your weekly dose of food nirvana? We’ve got the District’s best events, #foodporn, weird news and more to push your gluttony to the belly-bursting max. From Beer Week to new menus and Julia Child’s birthday, we’ve got you covered…
This week in BYT food:
- Don’t forget to grab early bird tickets for super cheap for COOKIES AND CREAM, our ice cream social follow up to donut fest.
- IT’S DC BEER WEEK. We’ve got a handy guide to the best Beer Week bars and specials (we’ve even got specials for non-beer enthusiasts, too).
- Need our ultimate #ProPicks when it comes to DC Beer Week events? We’ve got those too.
- AND we visited the kind gents at DC Brau, who taught us how to get the perfect pour.
- But it’s not all about the beer! We stopped by Beuchert’s Saloon for Rum Day DC’s kick-off event and it was delicious.
- And how could we forget our cheap-drinking-filled Happy Hour Hotline?
- We also spoke to indie darlings Speedy Ortiz about the best food they eat on the road and where to find it.
- AND checked out Street Food Fridays at Victor Albisu’s Taco Bamba, which is the clear top pick for all your delicious eating and drinking on Friday afternoons.
Upcoming food events:
- FIRST OFF, Julia Child’s 101st birthday is tomorrow and you should make sure to check out some great specials around the city to celebrate. Head to Marcels for some delightful tarragon chicken or you could try the tasting menu at The Jefferson, OR make your way to the American History Museum to check out their Julia Child themed Food in the Garden event. (And in case you’ve forgotten, Smithsonian’s Museum of American History has her full kitchen on display.)
- In honor of D.C. Beer Week, Meridian Pint will give free beer to the first five people to find their Lost Rhino mascot.
- On Sunday, August 18th, District Doughnut is holding its first-ever pop-up event at Qualia Coffee in Petworth. They’ll be pairing goods like Dulce de Leche and Brown Butter with Qualia’s roasts but make sure to get there early–the event starts at 8:00 a.m. and only lasts ’til the doughnuts are alllll gone. (Side Note–remember that time we spent an afternoon in the kitchen with them?)
- Ripple’s Executive Chef Marjorie Meek-Bradley is cooking up a delicious four-course menu to help reach Fit For Hope fundraising goals. RSVP by email here.
- On August 16th there’s a Jamba Juice Tweet-Up at the Dupont Circle location from 9:00-11:00 a.m.! Jamba’s 16-ounce smoothies will be $2 and early birds will receive free smoothies. RSVP on Twitter via #JambaDC.
- And again, next month The Source’s Executive Chef Scott Drewno will host two Asian-themed cooking classes, with proceeds benefitting the American Cancer Society. Call or RSVP via email.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Congratulations to Table and Daikaya for landing on Bon Appetite’s Top 50 New Restaurants list!
- The Philantropub, a pub that gives away all of their funds to charity, now are in need of charity themselves; they need $11,000 for a new A.C. unit.
- This creepy new hospital-themed restaurant has “nurses” feed you. This may be one of the weirdest things we’ve ever read about.
- All that eating lunch alone at your desk may be stressing you out, according to a new study published in Germany.
- Cat doughnuts. Enough said. It’s also based on an anime about cat doughnuts. Thank you, Japan.
- We all love those novelty cakes that look like inedible objects but Sweden is ahead of the game; they’re making sandwiches that look like cake.
- Feelin’ adventurous in your food choices? Well, here’s a list of really bizarre foods you should try if you like gaggin’– we mean, adventure.
- If you ever felt the need to breed larvae on your kitchen counter, then this device is for you.
- Check out these funky food tales for some behind the scenes knowledge on under the counter trickery.