ALL THE DC NEWS THAT IS FIT TO EAT (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to FARRAH@BRIGHTESTYOUNGTHINGS.COM.
There are so many reasons for your tastebuds to rejoice this week. It’s perfect ice cream weather and it’s Belgian Restaurant Week! As the most thorough food news round-up around, we’ve got a super sized week for you. Abandon any and all bikini body hopes and dreams immediately.
THIS WEEK IN BYT FOOD:
- Today, our heat index is expected to be near 102º. Lucky for you, our summer interns have crafted a brand new DC Ice Cream Guide, updated for 2013. Use that lunch break wisely.
- Continue the cooldown after work with our handy dandy Happy Hour Hotline.
- Need a reason to drive out to Falls Church? We took a first look/taste test at Taco Bamba, the neighborhood taqueria you wish was in your ‘hood.
- Maketto’s pop-up at Hanoi House has us extremely excited for the permanent H Street spot to open. Caution: food porn ahead.
- Nothing says summer like Maryland blue crabs, and we had more than our fill at Addie’s Crab Feast.
- Brew at the Zoo was delicious, because there’s nothing quite like drinking (and eating) amongst wildlife.
- Johnny Grave performed at our UnStill Life party at the Phillips, and presented his top picks for Best Venue Food in DC. Touring bands, take note.
UPCOMING FOOD EVENTS:
- Earlier this week, BLT Steak rolled out four-course “Skirts and Shorts” menu, featuring a waygu skirt steak and a “short pour” beer flight. The special runs through the end of the summer season.
- Now through July 28, Oyamel’s special squash blossom menu items will be available during lunch and dinner service. Squash blossoms have a very short seasonal window, so don’t miss out on these.
- The Best of Washingtonian awards are TONIGHT, and it’s 100% sold out.
- Tomorrow, Heurich House Museum hosts History & Hops, featuring Smuttynose Brewing Company.
- Also tomorrow, Belga Cafe hosts a beer & cheese dinner as part of Belgian Restaurant Week.
- ALSO also beginning tomorrow, the National Museum of American History kicks off their weekly Food in the Garden Series. This summer’s focus is “Growing Local.” There are different featured foods every week, accompanied by relevant panel discussions and great drinks.
- The pinnacle of Belgian Restaurant Week is Saturday at Eastern Market: The Annual Mussel Throwdown. There will also be a blindfolded beer challenge. $5 admission includes a beer and a pot of mussels.
- Every Saturday at 4:00 p.m., DGS Delicatessen hosts cooking classes with topics ranging from pickle essentials, preparing fish like a pro, and (our favorite) “Moving beyond Manischewitz.” You can also buy a “summer camp” pass to attend all classes.
- If you’re into experimental, rare and all around weird beers, head to the Flying Dog Brewery on Saturday for GonzoFest.
- How do you like the sound of “all the best ice cream in one place?” The DC Scoop is at Union Market on Sunday with FREE ICE CREAM, an ice cream eating contest, face painting, and all around awesomeness. Good luck with the brain freeze.
- Also on Sunday, Jackson 20’s “Bounty of the Bay” crab boil party returns.
- On Monday, Eat Local First invites you to Wooly Mammoth for the “How Local Foods Grow Our City” kickoff talk and party.
- Meridian Pint guides you through Virginia cheeses and beers on Tuesday.
- And this time next week, Heavy Seas has a pirate/exploration themed shindig at NatGeo, for fans of IPAs.
- Taberna de Alabardero hosts two interactive events at the end of the month: A new tapas wine pairing dinner on 7/26 and a paella master cooking class in 7/27.
EVERYTHING ELSE THAT’S FIT TO EAT (AND DRINK)
- WaPo firmly believes that the DC food scene could be a lot better, and Huffington Post defends the constantly expanding culinary landscape. Opinions about opinions.
- Milkhouse Brewery is Maryland’s first licensed farm brewery, and your newest excuse to visit the MD countryside.
- Big, cheesy news: Big Cheese Co. announces plants for a brick and mortar spot in Dupont in the not-so-distant future.
- Eater’s Lifers series returns with Peaches, a Ben’s Chili Bowl breakfast manager who’s been at this landmark for thirty-five years.
- Here’s a fantastic list of the best Belgian Beer specials to scout out during Belgian Restaurant week.
- Next Saturday is National Creme Brulee Day, and Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken will offer a special flight featuring variations on their signature crème brûlée doughnut: vanilla, chocolate, and raspberry.
- Sticky Fingers has generously expanded their menu with donuts, shakes, and burgers. See the mouth watering (vegan) menu for yourself.
- Hot dogs could always be weirder. Bon Appetit gives you 10 new, weird ways to cook yours.
- Are you having trouble finding local wines everyone’s raving about? This might explain things.
- Master Distiller Elmer T. Lee, who dedicated his life to bourbon, passed away yesterday. Do yourself a favor and learn more about him.