Hope that you’re hungry…settle into those elastic waist pants and enjoy the round up of DC food news, gossip and everything in between.
But first, a PSA: Make sure to check out our 2012 Winter Food Guide full of all the info you’ll need to guide your gustatory pursuits during the long winter.
EAT YOUR HEART OUT:
- Best news I’ve heard in a while: everyone’s favorite dive, Solly’s, is expanding into the property next door and will begin serving food. WIN-WIN. Full story on Prince of Petworth.
- Happy Chinese New Year! Check out our taste test of ZenTan’s Chinese New Year menu, complete with MOUTH.WATERING. photos.
- Last week, Draft magazine released their list of the top 100 beer bars in the country, which included three DC area bars: Bier Baron, Lyon Hall, and Churchkey.
- Speaking of, if the beer list at Churchkey overwhelms you, check out CityEats’ guide to the restaurant by the numbers.
- Attention techie foodies! Google just announced the launch of a Yelp-esque Google Places site for DC that will aim to “to highlight the local places, the neighborhood haunts, the foodie havens, the dive bars, and the spots that make our city great to live, work and thrive in.” Let’s see if it takes on like Google Circles did…
- UrbanDaddy reports that FoGoBro now offers beer and wine bicycle delivery service. GW students rejoice.
- Washingtonian has a first look at new casual bistro restaurant, Boundary Road, on H Street. Looks intriguing…
- We taste-tested Bourbon Steak’s new winter cocktail menu. YUMMY.
- After a pretty critical review by Tom Sistsema in July and then getting the cold shoulder from critics and diners alike, Penn Quarter’s 901 is changing up their game with a new Asian-inspired menu and revamped restaurant concept.
- Much-awaited Mintwood Place restaurant is opening this Sunday, January 29 at 5:30 for dinner service. Check out the menu preview on Eater and call 202-234-6732 for reservations.
- We also learned a bit more about Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s concepts in development near Nationals Park called The Yards, which will include an outpost of Buzz Bakery, a craft brewery and companion restaurant. Sounds like we can expect: a rockstar lady bartender; locally-sourced and foraged ingredients; plus a full-production brewery and tasting room. Full deets on Eater.
SAVE ROOM FOR THIS:
- Jose Andres’ ThinkFoodGroup’s head bartender Owen Thomson is launching a new monthly cocktail class beginning on February 4 at 3 p.m. at America Eats Tavern. Classes will be held on the first Saturday of each month and will focus on a different spirit each month, progressing in the order in which these spirits were introduced into American drinking habits. School starts with punch and will move into brandy, rum, whiskey and gin in subsequent months. Tickets are $50 per person and include three cocktails plus small bites from the America Eats menu. Class packages are also available, at three classes for $125 or five classes for $200. Email JenF@americaeatstavern.com to reserve your spot.
- This week is Facebook Fan Appreciation Week at Urbana, which means that today though Sunday, diners who can prove their Facebook fan status can take advantage of daily specials like $1 oysters, a free margherita pizza with any purchase, or $10 bottomless bellinis at brunch on Saturday.
- The Sugar and Champagne Affair benefiting the Washington Humane Society is coming up on February 1st. The annual dessert and champagne reception honors local crusaders against animal cruelty: Washington Humane Society’s Humane Law Enforcement Officers, Animal Control Officers, and Humane Educators. This celebration of all things sugary and sweet showcases DC’s most talented pastry chefs. Tickets are available here. WE’RE ALSO GIVING AWAY A PAIR OF TICKETS HERE—GET ON ITTTTT!
LINKS, FOR DESSERT:
- NY Times takes Simon Doonan out for a meal, so he can explain why “Gay men don’t get fat”
- So we’ve all heard by now that Paula Deen has diabetes, right?? Insert snarkiness here.
- DC isn’t the only city of binge drinkers in the country…as we learned from the “Geography of American Binge Drinking.”
- Photo gallery of the Day: EXPLODING FOOD