The Children of God was a sex cult who translated their teachings into comic form. Cool right? No, not when children are involved…….
The Children of God was a California-based religious sex cult started by David Berg in 1968 that drew on the myriads of impressionable and indulgent hippies. The basic tenet of the cult held that a connection with Jesus could be found through sex. This resulted in a lot of creepy and exploitative practices:
- “Flirty Fishing”: the cult’s ingenious way of attracting new converts in which male and females members would sexual seduce outsiders.
- Female followers were instructed sleep with male cult members with the aim of bringing them closer to Christ
- Underage boys serviced their nannies for “spiritual” purposes — River Phoenix, whose parents were members, told Details magazine in 1991 that he’d lost his virginity at age four to another cult member.
- Pushing female followers towards prostitution to raise money for the cult.
- Unsurprisngly: the cult forbids male homosexuality while sanctioning female bisexuality (though female homosexuality at the complete exclusion of men is not permitted)
Even more bizarre, all of David Berg’s weird-o sexual teachings (often advocating adult-child sexual contact), called Mo Letters, were documented in photograph, video, and comic form. Not surprisingly, shit hit the fan pretty soon and Father David went into hiding and later rebranded his cult The Family International (now with a creepily legit-looking website)
David Berg’s teachings in comic form- entitled the True Komix series (Read more True Komix here)
Famous people who had their childhood ruined by the Children of God
- Jeremy Spencer: founding member of Fleetwood Mac
- Rose McGowan: slutty actress
- Actors River Phoenix and Joaquin Phoenix,
More about the Children of God
Tons of good stuff about the Children of God/The Family