all original photos: Shauna Alexander and Jeff Martin
Ok, you guys-so this weekend we’re helping UNION MARKET throw what is probably the most elaborate picnic set-up of all time (or at least-all summer).
The SUMMER PICNIC SPECTACULAR concept is simple:
- invite some of the best chefs, restaurants and food trucks in town (23 of them)
- have them all create their perfect summer dish (details on that below)
- hire some awesome DJs (Soul Call Paul and Tariq namely), musical performers (Christylez Bacon and Evan Lim) and a 85′ moon bounce
- throw in some misting tents, a photo booth, cold brews and your closest friends
- put it all in the soon-to-be-opened Union Market (which is probably the buzziest fall food destination in DC) for a special preview/first look
- and you have yourself a party
Tickets are $5 in advance ($7 at the door), kids under 10 are free and once in you have your pick of a la carte options from some of BYT’s favorite food purveyors around (everything priced under $10 fyi).
So-while you should obviously JUST GO AHEAD AND BUY these tickets (we say so, Washingtonian says so, Thrillist says so, Refinery 29 says so, Washington Post says so….) we are offering a special “you+5 friends win-these-tickets-pack” contest where you get to win, well, just that. To enter-leave us a comment telling us what you perfect picnic basket would contain. Cool? COOL.
OK-and now for extra motivation a sneak peak at what the awesome food vendors we have on Saturday are prepping:
- Hill Country BBQ (making Brisket Chomp with Cucumber Salad, Cornbread muffins -yum!)
- Chef Scott Drewno of The Source (2 time winner of Cochon 555, and a RAMMY winner for Best chef in DC making some Asian BBQ just for you)
- Chef Victor Albisu of Taco Bamba (a sneak peak at former BLT Steak’s executive chef’s new restaurant with some amazing chorizo sandwiches)
- Jeff Black of BlackSalt/Pearl Dive (Black Salt just won Best Upscale Casual Restaurant RAMMY award and Jeff Black won for Restaurateur of the Year)
- Special Guest Appearance by RJ Cooper – James Beard award winner, gourmand
- Rappahannock Oysters – just the best
- Red Apron’s FRANK Cart – the finest, finest gourmet hot dogs around. I mean-just look at this snap
- Johhny’s Half Shell
- Taqueria Nacional by one of DC’s most beloved chefs Ann Cashion
- Dolcezza Gelato
- Chupacabra Food Truck - TACOS!
- Mie N Yu - serving Miso Short Rib Banh Mi: fried beef bologna, quick pickles, baby greens, spicy mayo, crusty french bread+ Mochi Ice Cream – Assorted Flavors
- Art and Soul – chef Wes Morton is preppin’ some Pork & Cracklin Sandwich with confit cabbage
- Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats - vegan cupcake and kewvin cookie sandwiches
- Reba’s Funnel Cake Truck (OMG-A FUNNEL CAKE TRUCK!)- serving up Funnel Cakes, Franks, Chicken, Floats, Ice Cream, Sundaes AND Parfaits
- Gordy’s Pickles – fried pickles and jalapeno sampler, yes please
- Pitango Gelato - some of their favorite summer gelato flavors
- Oyamel – Elote con Calabacitas: Sauteed Local Corn with summer squash, tomatoes, onions, Serrano peppers, epazote and Mexican Crema.
- Boqueria - (hope you’re ready for this) NUTELLA STUFFED CHURROS
- Captain Cookie Food Truck – Cookies, custom-made ice cream sandwiches (!!!!!)
- Trickling Springs Creamery Ice Cream – homemade, delicious, delicious super premium ice cream
- Peregrine Espresso – with some of the best iced coffees and teas in town
+ cold beers, vitaminwater, other non-alcoholic drinks and more