No Image Available
PHOTOS: Long Walks on The Beach / Midnight Kids / Lightfoot @ Paper Sun
May 10, 2010 | 1:30PM

all photos: Chris Svetlik

This past Saturday, some of our favorite local bands performed to a full house @ the best new secret place to have shows at – The Paper Sun.
Enjoy photos by Chris and click on these BYT Feature links to learn more about:

Your memories can go into comments

IMG_2579IMG_2574 IMG_2564 IMG_2568IMG_2548IMG_2551IMG_2511 IMG_2511 IMG_2521IMG_2525IMG_2472 IMG_2472 IMG_2505IMG_2447 IMG_2429 IMG_2463IMG_2386 IMG_2351 IMG_2349IMG_2271 IMG_2254 IMG_2302

Comments:

Your Email Address Will Not Be Published

• Jess Lightfoot says:

This was such a great night!

Special thanks to all the fantastic volunteers, the opening band Delicate Steve (who drove in from New Jersey), Hella Tuff vintage and to all the great people who came out to support local music and a donation-only run art space like Paper Sun.

• bendroz says:

major props. It was a great time, and there are great photos to prove it. Can’t wait till next time!

• Dakota says:

wow, really nice lighting for a DIY space, photos look great Chris!

• NEWDUST says:

Thanks Jess!

This was newdust.com’s first big event in DC. The bands (Long Walks on the Beach, Midnight Kids, and Delicate Steve) were great, the house was packed, and good times were had by all.

Thanks to all who helped newdust pull this off and cheers to Chris for the great pics!

• RRL7 says:

very impressive, especially considering the event was entirely DIY. props to jess and paper sun, and josh at newdust. can we do this again, soon?

• Willy says:

Rough sound at times, but great event that didn’t come off like a DIY house show. Well, apart from the cops.

• ToePick says:

Agreed, Willy. Maybe a sound guy/gal can volunteer (or someone can find one)? The bands were all hugely talented folks – it’s unfortunate their vocals were absent for much of their respective sets.

• Ryan says:

I suppose I should chime in.

I was the ostensible sound guy for the evening. It was much less a matter of there being no one around to do it (as I was) as it was a matter of there being almost nothing to work with.

I don’t want to dork it out too much, but the PA gave us fits from the moment we went to set it up. It’s fairly low-powered, more of a practice setup, such that even when handling only the vocals, like it did that night, couldn’t cut through the rest of the band. Even with only the vocals as its responsibility, the rest of the bands’ sound was simply too much for the underpowered PA to get through without feeding back (especially since we were working with Shure SM58s as vocal mics, which, while bombproof and an industry standard, require massive amounts of clean gain to work properly–and the PA just didn’t have it).

Further (and dorkier still), since only the vocals were through the PA, there was no opportunity to carve a path through equalization for the vocals, so they got drowned out–in this case particularly badly by the cymbals and bass drum, whose relative dynamics are naturally markedly higher than sung vocals (go sing next to a recently-struck ride cymbal and you’ll know what I’m talking about). The limitations of the PA also made themselves known here.

I’ll be talking to Jess about ways we can make Paper Sun sound better (and more cop-friendly). If we can quiet the drums a bit (an enclosure, for instance), things will sound a lot better and will help in keeping the fuzz from making it a regular stop.

I’m glad to read you all enjoyed yourself regardless of the sound SNAFUs. See you back there soon.

• WGTB says:

This event was so great, please please please make it happen again! Major props to all those that put it all together, and to jess for saying ‘F*** the police’

• pa owner says:

I can state as a fact that I’ve definitely used that PA several times in bigger places with really loud bands, and it worked fine.

It definitely has a few quirks, so I wish that I didn’t have family obligations that night which prevented me from getting there early enough to set it up and run it, but I really feel the need to defend myself to say that I would never have lent something to this show that was insufficient.

• Ban Ki-moon says:

I’ll see what I can do.

• Jess Lightfoot says:

GEDDY LEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Jeremy says:

Maybe some DIY insulation sound panels? I build them at Gold Leaf.

• Jess Lightfoot (the real Jess) says:

Jeremy, please reach out to me, we’d love the help and guidance!

Thanks!

Jess

• Jess Lightfoot (the best Jess) says:

GET A NOSEJOB!

• Au$10 says:

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Long Walks on the Beach pajamas.