all photos: Franz Mahr
Thank you all for coming out to celebrate Artisphere’s first birthday on Saturday, an event so massive it required a 4-page program to let you know about everything that was going on. It was like a magical funhouse to explore, with interesting things happening around every corner.
Kind of like Disney World but with meat rides.
Some of the many highlights:
- The debut live band performance of Volta Bureau aka Will Eastman, Outputmessage & Micah Vellian – who channeled the dark 80s synth sounds of Depeche Mode and New Order
- Absurd comedy inside the dome courtesy of Brandon Wetherbee & friends
- Tripped out interactive art exhibits
- Tripped out interactive opera
- Killer gorilla robots from space & zombies
- AutoRock, Alvin Risk, and Hays Holladay demonstrating how real DJs do it
- Some next level shit involving spaceships projected on the dome and exclusive mp3 downloads to listen to while watching said spaceships
- Back to the Future shoes
And that only scratches the surface. A million dollar night for $15. Continue to support Artisphere here: http://www.artisphere.com/
Some more photos here too: http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/artsfun/afterhours/21137.html