It’s really fitting that CMJ falls in October, because it’s is a TOTALLY HORRIFYING NIGHTMARE to try and sift through the millions (read: MILLIONS) of possibilities. Fortunately for you, we’ve taken the time to sample EVERY SINGLE ARTIST listed on the 2012 roster to help you narrow down the selection without having to do any actual research! So are the TOP TWENTY SHOWS that we’re VERY excited about here at BYT, which we think YOU should be excited about, too. Ready? GO!
- The Postellles and Ghost Wave (first US shows) @ Le Baron. The Postelles are fine but Ghost Wave is awesome, like “surfer punks camped out in a beach house” music. Also from New Zealand. Fucking New Zealand is the fucking best.
- On Land Booze Cruise (With Weekend, KNTRLR, Fan-Tan and others) No not THE Weekend, nor LE Weekend, but somewhere in between smooth and avant-garde. Especially love KNTRLR who despite their dumb vowel-less name, have an awesome jangling Feelies thing going on.
- Anti-CMJ Party @ some house in Bushwick. Found this party by searching ANTI-CMJ on Facebook. Never heard of any of these bands but they have loud guitars and there’s free beer. Maybe he’ll let you crash on his couch?
- Death Grips @ Le Poisson Rouge. I mean obviously Death Grips right? Flying Lotus…not sure. But definitely Death Grips. Tell your friends it’s a hip hop dance party and watch their faces collapse when the acne starts spraying.
- Zulu Pearls, Blackbird Blackbird, Maus Haus, etc. Best bang for your free buck = Day parties! Zulu Pearls new album is the bomb.gov, but everyone on this is decent. Quit your job for full enjoyment.
- I’m pretty much immensely excited for ALL of these, but let’s kick my picks off with this FREE show sponsored by Hype Machine. It’s happening at Brooklyn Bowl, and two of my most recent obsessions Foxygen and Hundred Waters are on the roster. Not bad for a Thursday night! (See also: take THAT, suckers who plan to pay $10 to see Foxygen and Hundred Waters at Pianos!)
- Another INCREDIBLE show that’s jam-packed with some of my personal favorites is happening at Santos Party House on Thursday night. We’re talking Sky Ferreira, Blondfire, Icona Pop, Strange Talk AND MORE, all under one roof, all for just $5. You seriously cannot beat that.
- This next one is at DROM on Thursday night is also FREE w/ RSVP, so make sure you get on it! Why, you ask? Because it’s fan favorite FRANKIE ROSE headlining, plus our DC buddies U.S. Royalty AND one of our new favorites from Down Under called Big Scary. EVERYONE WINS.
- For another amazing free show, check out Tammany Hall on Friday; provided they don’t “oversell” the free tickets a la Van She / Plastic Plates debacle over this past weekend, you just MIGHT get your head in the door to see my FAVE FAVE FAVORITES Viceroy and Goldroom!
- Last but CERTAINLY not least, we’ve got a good one at Glasslands sponsored by Force Field PR and Hipster Runoff; it’s free w/ RSVP, and it features some solid talent including Young Magic, Teen Daze and Mister Lies.
- Definitely this lineup at the Rock Shop. Alfonso Velez is one of the acts; he used to be in this DC band forever ago called Monopoli, and he has a beautiful voice.
- Also, the Function Operate CMJ showcase @ Cameo Gallery should be good since Eraas is part of the lineup; we just saw them live at the Knitting Factory and they were AMAZING.
- There’s another one at Cameo on Friday with Zambri, who’s got an insanely good voice. I think she’s going to blow up. Plus there are DJ Sets from Surfer Blood and Chairlift, so that’s kind of a bonus.
- Dinosaur Feathers are playing a couple of shows this week, but this one for Deli Magazine at the Delancey looks pretty good. I haven’t seen them play in forever, but they’re an amazing band, really fun to watch.
- Savages are another one to look out for this week. They’ll be at Mercury Lounge on Friday with Daughter, Emma Louise, etc.
- You’d be crazy to miss Ambassadors at the Studio at Webster Hall. Their haunting, sometimes sad but good regardless electronic pop songs will give you goosebumps.
- Another Tuesday pick, Oh My Rockness is throwing a showcase at Cameo Gallery which features my new favorite band, indie-thrash-rockers, Metz. Let’s all go and get punched in the face together.
- Citizens! are the newest, most handsome thing to come out of England so you know I’ll be at their Neon Gold showcase gig at Santos Party House on Thursday.
- Speaking of Citizens!, they’re opening for a very familiar line-up (Tomorrow’s World + Housse de Racket…. hmmm where have I heard that before??) on Wednesday at the Highline Ballroom.
- And Brett, the new project from the dude-babes in The Dance Party will be making it’s debut (?) at Tammany Hall on Friday. Need I say more?
So who are your top picks? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS AND/OR ON TWITTER @BYTNYC!