round up by: Carrie Murphy
Shock your family by mixing up one of these non-traditional holiday recipes this year. We’ve got stuff for vegans, glutards, vegetarians, Paleos and meat-eaters alike.
With A Twist:
These recipes put a fresh spin on holiday standby dishes and traditional fall ingredients. They’re not going to make your grandma’s mouth quiver with sadness because you totally broke tradition, but they’ll add a little something new to the table.
- Butternut Squash and Sage Risotto (GF, vegan): Get an arm workout making this delicious-looking risotto.
- Pumpkin Fondue : Who doesn’t love a fondue? (image via)
- Lemon-Cranberry Upside Down Cake: Try cranberries as a dessert rather than a side.
- Turkey in Mole Sauce: A Mexican-inspired sauce that is to die for.
- Southwestern Pumpkin Soup (GF): Spicy, pumpkin-y, steamy.
- Arborio Rice Pudding: Easy as pie! Er, rice pudding.
- Bacon Mincemeat Pie: Since the cultural obsession with bacon is still going strong, serve this. ([Photograph: Lauren Weisenthal]
Because Why Not?
These recipes are in no way connected to the popular fall/winter flavors of pumpkin, pumpkin and MORE PUMPKIN. They don’t scream HOLIDAY MEAL! ONCE-A-YEAR TRADITION! But they look damn good and we think you should make them anyway.
- Caramelized Onion Dip: Eat this while you’re pregaming for the meal.
- Chewy Bibingka (GF): This cake has a cool name.
- Pavlova: Pavlovas, named after the ballerina, are meringue-like cakes that are apparently de-rigueur at holiday celebrations in both Australia and New Zealand.
- Spicy Tofu Patties (GF, vegan): An easy appetizer. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Nuevo Texas Waldorf Salad: Meatless, crispy, and with apples. What’s not to like? (image via)
- Maple Bacon Biscuit Bake: Again with the bacon. But this time, with maple! Calorie-laden but sure to be a hit.
- Chili Gumbo (GF, vegan): Gumbo for the holidays? Frankly, we’re on board with gumbo for every single day of the year.
- Artichoke, Kale and Ricotta Pie: Every holiday celebration needs a savory pie. This sounds like a perfect Christmas Eve dinner to me.
- Italian Meatball Soup: Because meatballs are meatballs. (image via)
Post some of your favorite recipe links in the comments. And pass those elastic pants!