by Mitchell, Brian Werner, Bri Younger, Shelly Bell, and Wes Volla
- I’ve really just been shaking my Party Shakems
- Ane Brun – Do You Remember - Ane Brun is Sweden’s answer to Florence and the Machine.
- Tame Impala – Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - If you close your eyes, Kevin Parker of Tame Impala sounds just like John Lennon. With their stunning video for stand-out “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards”, you won’t want to.
- Sufjan Stevens – Do You Hear What I Hear? - Sufjan’s electronic industrialist twist on a classic carol; bridging the gap between indie music elitists and their traditionalist parents this holiday season.
- Juicy J ft. Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz - Bandz A Make Her Dance Remix - It’s Friday, why not get a little “rachet.” Plus nobody actually likes this song for the lyrics. It’s just for the silly meter and nonsensical rhymes that mean something to someone. Like a nursery rhyme!
- Miguel – Adorn - I spend most of the song body rolling in my chair at work while trying to figure out what the heck he is saying in the background. I’m so entertained by the grooviness of this joint!
- The Fray – How To Save A Life - Ok, so I’m going through somethings and I made this song my ringtone. Don’t judge me! Ha! I love The Fray!
- Ab Soul – “Only 1″ – Ab-Soul dropped this freebie two days ago, and in true Soulo fashion, you have to give it a couple of listens to grasp everything this man says. Though he is often overlooked for his Black Hippy associates, Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul is killing it with some of the sickest wordplay I’ve heard as of late. As the hook says, “Many gon’ come, but there is only one — Soulo”
- JMSN – “Hotel” - This isn’t a new track, but every now and then, you go back to a track or an album and just can’t turn it off. This has been the case with JMSN’s debut albumPriscilla, which dropped at the top of this year. You might have heard the Detroit-native on a couple of Kendrick Lamar’s GKMC songs, but his solo work is definitely worth a listen. Of course it may be a bit of a buzzkill for Friday’s celebratory vibe, so maybe wait until Sunday to check it out — unless, of course, you just got out of a relationship.
- The Theorist – “Let U Go” - Check out The Theorist’s cover of JMSN’s “Let U Go.” I just discovered The Theorist yesterday, and he does super awesome piano covers of popular songs. He just dropped a mixtape yesterday covering tracks like Frank Ocean’s “Pyramids” and The xx’s “Angels.” Might be worth a download if piano music is your thing…or even if it’s not and you just want to get drunk to “Swimming Pools” played on a piano.
- Carousel – ‘Stay Awake’ - ’Stay Awake’ solidifies Carousel’s reputation for deftly crafted gossamery electro-pop with an all too rare & sweet sincerity. Guaranteed to make any day a bit brighter.
- Clean Bandit – ‘A&E (Random Act)’ - So there is something completely off about UK classical/electro/R&B collective, Clean Bandit, but that is what makes them amazing. Fine line between genius and insanity here, thankfully most days they lean toward absolute genius.
- Zak Waters – ‘Gimme Little Sign’ - This song has led to more “Risky Business” reenactments, and subsequent reenactment related injuries, than a grown man should ever admit. You now know what my neighbors across the street have known for weeks now, I should probably buy curtains.