A column dedicated solely to the latest and greatest in affordable alcohol (and food, we guess) consumption news in DC. Never say we don’t love you. A LOT.
- FIRST UP: for permanent access to more free stuff than EVER and endless happy hour opps – We JUST announced the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP.
NEW KIDS ON THE HAPPY HOUR BLOCK:
- CARRIAGE HOUSE (click here for a full first look) – Fans of daily specials have a slew of reasons to get excited. Not only does the new spot plan to start trivia upstairs along with a customer loyalty program; it offers $6 mussels (!!!), cheap wine, late-night happy hours and more:
- Monday: Mussels & Wine Night. $6 Mussels; 1/2 price bottles of wine
- Tuesday: Flatbread Tuesday. 1/2 price flatbread, (brick oven baked, of course)
- Wednesday: Extended Happy Hour Specials. Happy Hour goes until 8pm
- Thursday: Ladies Night. Specialty cocktails 1/2-off all night
- Brunch: Bottomless Mimosas and Screwdrivers
- Happy Hour – M-Fri, 4:30pm-7pm, except Wednesday: 1/2 price flatbread; $3 Shock Top, Miller Lite, Bud Light
- PIOLA (click here for a full first look) - Happy hour is every day (yes, even weekends) and includes free bites around the bar (we’re talking small pizzas, spiced olives, meats and cheeses, gourmet pizza rolls, small sandwiches, bruschetta and more). With housemade sangrias, international cocktails and a solid beer and wine menu, this is a no-brainer. BONUS: Every Monday night, all wine bottles are half-priced from 7pm to close and–here’s our favorite special–on the 29th of every month, there’s all-you-can-eat gnocchi (all made in-house, of course).
- TAQUERIA NACIONAL (click here for a full first look) - not a happy hour per se but for a bargain additional $2 you can spike your horchata or agua fresca and it WILL be extra amazing (and the frozen margaritas are $5.75 ALWAYS and draft beers are $5 AlWAYS).
- HANOI HOUSE just launched a late night happy hour with Ciroc Scorpion Bowls and Captain Morgan Bubble Tea specials. REFRESHING.
- ALSO-it is THAT TIME of the year again: WASHINGTON POST just published their INTERN SURVIVAL GUIDE which features pretty much the most definitive guide to dirt cheap eats and drinks in town. USE IT.
A COUPLE OF BYT FAVORITES TO REVISIT THIS WEEK:
This week, we’d like to re-send you to our list of awesome OUTDOOR HAPPY HOUR SPOTS (shared otherwise in our OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE)
- El Centro D.F. – What goes better than margaritas and guacamole on a hot summer day? Absolutely nothing, we tell you. Enjoy some of the city’s best guac, tequila and tacos in the sunshine. Featuring a taqueria in the front with a taco and burrito ordering station and a sit down dining area (“tequileria”) in the back and downstairs, El Centro D.F. is here to serve up all your Mexican inspired cravings, delivered right to your patio table. Happy hour is daily 5-7pm, $4 Margaritas, rocks & frozen, Sangrias Mexican Beers, Red & White Wine. 5-9pm, $6 Guacamole, Tacos & more
- Biergarten Haus – Venture down H Street NE and step into one of the city’s most fun and bizarrely authentic outdoor drinking experiences available–Biergarten Haus is home to multiple delicious draft beers, be it Pilsner, Hefe-Weizen, or Lager. Happy hour is Monday-Friday, 4-7pm, $5 Franziskaner Hefe-Weizen, Paulaner Pils, Becks Maibock, $5 House Wine (White, Red), plus $5 Loaded Fries, Hamburger Sliders, Garden Currywurst.
- RED DERBY - rooftop. $1 natty bohs and other classy specials during happy hour.
- LARRY’S LOUNGE - $3 rails, $3.5 draft special, $4.5 Absolut drinks. And the wine is super cheap too.Basically living the dream.
- BOURBON - 6-7:30pm, $3 Drafts; Specials on Selected Bourbons; Cocktail Specials
- Pearl Dive - Monday-Friday 4-7pm, the little indoor-outdoor bar/patio is a veritable raw bar oasis. Food and drink specials occur on a rotating basis. But also: Oyster Mania Mondays in both the bar and dining room starting at 4pm to close. All of Pearl Dive’s signature hot oyster appetizers are $6.00. Raw bar oysters on the half shell are 1/2 price.
- Veranda - never packed, always there. Which is crazy (the non-packness) since the happy Hour specials are VERY solid: Mondays features $4 sliders, Tuesdays are the 1/2 priced bottles of wine, Wednesday bring $4 Sangrias, Thursdays $4 mojitors, Fridays $5 martinis and Saturdays 1/2 off mussels.
- J & G Steakhouse -on Wednesday, April 24th (TODAY!) J&G Steakhouse is launching their new happy hour with $5.15 specialty cocktails such as the Cherry Yuzu Rickey and the Ginger Margarita. DONE!
- Nellie’s Nellie’s is a whirlpool for intersecting currents of the city, which also happens to have a badass Beat the Clock Happy Hour: beer and cocktails 5-6 pm $1, 6-7 pm $2, and 7-8pm $3. On the rooftop you can see all the way to the National Shrine, there’s a big screen projector that is usually playing something embarrassing, and their bartenders all call you “babe.” The food is quite bomb, and if you get there at dusk, there is sometimes a man at the corner of 9th and U, in front of an office building lobby, shadow boxing his reflection in the glass door.
- Lincoln – Lincoln’s prime downtown location makes for excellent people-watching, while its focus on small plates makes for the perfect bite to share with friends while you lounge outdoors sipping a glass of wine and taking in the scenery (read: characters). The happy hour specials are solid, and the hours are long (4-7pm every day). Expect: $3 PBRs, $5 DC Braus, $5 Lincoln Spirits, and a $39 Emancipation punch which serves 8.
Your recommendations, of course, welcome in the comments (And if you want your happy hour included in one of the future lists/have a happy hour to recommend email us at: email@example.com)