Thanks to everyone that tuned in to our appearance on Good Day D.C. yesterday morning. Since the Hangover Guide was requested before you begin celebrating this holiday weekend, here it is. -ed.
We took some time to find out how D.C.’s professional drinkers and eaters take care of that nasty dog in the morning, and are sharing their remedies with you. Got a better idea? Share in the comments!
- What’s Your Poison? Right now, my poison is George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee Whiskey
- Hangover cure? My favorite hangover cure is coffee, coconut water & pho.
David Varley: Executive Chef – BOURBON STEAK
- What’s Your Poison? I like to consider myself an equal opportunity imbiber. Not necessarily ruling out any spirits, I’m not crazy about vodka but will enjoy it under the right circumstances. I love Beer, Wine, Mezcal, Gin, Vermouth, Amaro etc., etc., etc. Lately I’ve been drinking a great deal of small batch bourbon like the Willets and the Van Winkle Family stuff.
- Hangover cure? As far as hangovers are concerned I truly believe “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” My formula is that I typically mitigate hangovers by drinking a glass of water for each drink I consume throughout the night. I will then drink a sports drink with electrolytes before bed and set my alarm for 6 am. I wake up, drink another sports drink and take 2 extra strength Excedrin. I then go back to sleep for 2-4 hours. A cold shower and a very strong coffee round out the regimen.
Alex Nicholson: Food Editor for BYT
- What’s Your Poison? Grey Goose martinis, a little dirty, no olives, icy
- Hangover cure? Coco water, Excedrin Migraine, crying.
Tiffany MacIsaac: Executive Pastry Chef – Neighborhood Restaurant Group (creator of The DC Luther-ed)
- What’s Your Poison? I LOVE a drink called the Pink Lady if I’m feeling fancy, but when I’m just out to drink it’s Johnny Walker Black on the rocks for me!
- Hangover cure? The day after my wonderful husband will sometimes make the drive to Wawa, a Pennsylvania-grown convenience store, for a meatball sub or Italian hoagie. Or a giant burger. That always hits the spot!
Anthony Chittum: Executive Chef – Vermilion
- What’s Your Poison? Stella and/or Vodka Soda
- Hangover cure? I start with a large glass of water and two Excedrin before I go to bed. The next morning I’ll have a greasy breakfast of fried eggs with bacon, toast, jelly, another glass of water, three Excedrin and then take a nap!
Greg Engert: Beer Director – Neighborhood Restaurant Group
- What’s Your Poison? So I would say that I unsurprisingly tend to imbibe whatever craft beer I can find when I go out…for this reason I end up at bars and restaurants with more expansive beer lists. A standby has been–and always will be–good old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, the classic American craft brew that tends to find its way onto even the more mundane beer lists in town and beyond.
- Hangover cure? For hangovers, I tend to grab some Pho. It’s the perfect hangover cure…my favorite place for Pho is Pho 75 in Arlington, but if I am staying in the District I like Pho 14.
Quanta Robinson: Chef – Black’s Bar & Kitchen (Bethesda,Md)
- What’s Your Poison? Vodka/Tonic
- Hangover cure? Biscuits w/ Sausage Gravy and Beer!
Joseph Zumpano: Director – Black Restaurant Group
- What’s Your Poison? Proper Gin or Bourbon
- Hangover cure? 1 quart of Coconut Water with 3 packs of Emergn-C mixed in. Follow with a Bloody Mary. Cheers
Ari Wilder: Stir Food Group Corporate Mixologist & Co-Owner Wilder Bros Craft
- What’s Your Poison? Gin, bourbon, wine and negronis.
- Hangover cure? Carrot, beet, Ginger juice fresh. And exercise. Works every time.
Justin Bittner: Chef – Bar Pilar
- Hangover cure? Lots of ice water, working in front of a hot stove. And here’s a weird one, but sometimes shaving makes me feel a little better.
Manny Fliakas: General Manager – Whitlow’s on Wilson
- What’s Your Poison? Scotch
- Hangover cure? Drink 2 large glasses of water before passing out! Three reasons,1) it gets your body hydrated, 2) you’re gonna have to relieve yourself in the middle of the night at which point you take 2 Advil with another glass of water. If that doesn’t work start drinking again as soon as you get up, but remember to drink responsibly!!
Nycci Nellis: Publisher, TheListAreYouOnIt.com & Co-Host, Foodie & The Beast (radio/tv)
- What’s Your Poison? Bubbly! Love the bubbles in all shapes and sizes.
- Hangover cure? The best cure bar-none is lying in bed, cursing that last sip the night before and watching reruns of Law & Order (CSI, SVU, etc). Since I rarely have that luxury, a tall glass of ginger ale usually does the trick.
Svetlana Legetic: Mostly In Charge of BYT
- What’s Your Poison? Very Dry Vodka Martinis, Gin & Tonics, Salt Rimmed Margaritas (that salt rim kick of sodium adds to extra dehydration, because I like to finish what I started), Chardonnay (new development), Kir Royales & dark, fruity Belgian beers
- Hangover cure? I used to take 4 Tyleonol extra strengths and chase them with 2 tall glasses of water but then I heard that (as in-taking tylenol on a stomach full of alchohol) may actually cause my kidney/liver to fail so NOW! I swear by an extra extra horseradishy bloody mary, huevos rancheros and at least 2 liters of diet coke for regained productivity. Having a bagel (or two) with extra cream cheese and avocado helps too.
Melissa McCart: NBC editor for The Feast Washington
- What’s Your Poison? Beer, wine, Jameson
- Hangover cure? Two tablespoons of honey, a glass of water and two Advil before bed–or any combination of the three. Eating plain honey drunk is kinda fun.
Ashley May: Full time makeup artist, part time bartender
- What’s Your Poison? Bourbon
- Hangover cure? Fresh oysters. In theory it sounds bonkers. Slimy, gelatinous, raw and potentially contaminated shellfish when all you want to do is vom. But anyone who actually gets past the idea of it will back me up. They are salty and refreshing and chock full of zinc, which any professional boozer will tell you is the real trick. DO IT.
Derek Brown: Bar Owner, Mixologist -The Passenger; Cocktail Columnist
- What’s Your Poison? Whiskey
- Hangover cure? Egg Drop Soup
Fritz Hahn: Drinks, then writes about it. Sometimes the other way around (For Washington Post).
- What’s Your Poison? Bourbon, gin, English ales and Belgian Christmas beers. Usually not all at the same time.
- Hangover cure? Drinking water throughout the evening so that I don’t get a hangover in the first place. Other than that, I swear by eggs with hot sauce and a French press full of strong black coffee — preferably French Roast from M.E. Swing.
Amanda McClements: Editor – metrocurean.com
- What’s Your Poison? Champagne
- Hangover cure? Watermelon
LEAVE US YOUR CURES IN THE COMMENTS!!!!!!! AND GOOD LUCK THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!