This weekend is the weekend after Comic-Con, but the nerdgasms are about to begin as biggest movie of the summer (and no, I’m not talking about the one night stand of Shut Up and Play the Hits) is taking over megaplexes and IMAX screens. That’s right, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES IS HERE!!!! You may not be able to get tickets for the midnight showing w/o a blowie or spending your savings, but here are some other options for a fun weekend–just don’t let the lucky ones spoil the twists for you.
- Monday, July 23rd, the cast of “The Normal Heart” is having a special performance with a pre-performance cocktail hour w/ a red carpet and an ’80s dance party after their show. Read our interview with cast member Christopher J. Hanke and buy your tickets for their performance here.
- Did you hear about the two dudes who were almost kicked out of U Street Music Hall during Robyn’s amazing DJ set? Well, Will Eastman is making good on his promise for a “shirts off” dance party! MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR 8/8!
- Party with the Pocket gays! CTRL @ Dahlak
- Last week we lost an amazing bartender and good friend. If you have patronized Nellies in the last few years, please attend the Memorial celebration for Nellie’s bartender David Chung @ Nellies
- Our own BYGay Bradley is DJing this fundraiser for his Burning Man camp. Support him at MOUNT TUSHY @ 1905 Restaurant. Amazing jams promised all night.
- Support Queer Asian Arts! Ignition @ Artisphere
- Looking for some fun with the ladies? The the DC Gurly Show: Red, White and Boobs @ Phase 1 is for you
- Can’t make it over to Eastern Market? Well the ladies will also be waiting at Phasepex @ Phase 1 Dupont
- Need a pop fix? Pop Goes the World @ Green Lantern
- Were you emo in high school? Well the best emo band from the ’90s era, The Promise Ring, has reformed and are playing 9:30 Club. Tickets are surprisingly still available! The Promise Ring @ 9:30 Club.
- Though is EDM is more your style, Matthew Dear (who next month will drop his incredible new album Beams) is DJing U Street Music Hall. Matthew Dear (DJ Set) @ U Street Music Hall.
- GO SEE THE AIDS QUILT, all of it is reassembled for the first time in 20 years Seriously!
- BYT is throwing a picnic. You should really have your tickets already. Summer Picnic Spectacular @ Union Market
- Ink & Scruff @ Green Lantern for those who like it nasty.
- Women of the world–Take Over! Girls Rock the Decks: Bitches Brew presents lady DJs spinning to benefit Girls Rock DC @ The Dunes
- John Hughes is Dead, Long Live John Hughes! “Pretty in Pink” 14th Anniversary Party @ Duplex Diner
- The show of the summer – HOT CHIP! SLEIGH BELLS! JAMES MURPHY DJ SET! – is this weekend, but is all the way over in Columbia, MD. For the car-less majority our good friends the Pocket Gays are chartering aBUS. Space is limited so get on it! CTRL Party Bus to Hot Chip/Sleigh Bells/James Murphy
Need more stuff to do? Check Out BYT ALL CITY! Until Next week!