Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around D.C. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: Our FREE SUMMER OUTDOOR Concert Guide is out now. Use it and abuse it. Three series continue through September.
- It may be September but it’s still hot outside: Our DC ICE CREAM GUIDE.
- Also: our FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE is available, just three fests remain!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
Outdoor movie season is almost over and it makes us very sad! There’s only one this week! One! That’s not enough! Luckily there are some quality choices inside, for free, at the National Gallery of Art.
- Wednesday, September 4th - Ballets Russes Dances @ National Gallery of Art – ditch work and catch up on some culture.
- Saturday, September 7th – Le Petit Soldat @ National Gallery of Art – it’s the 50th anniversary of Godard’s banned-in-France film
- Sunday, September 8th – Ciné-Concert: Abstract Animation Since 1970 @ National Gallery of Art – live scoring of short, animated films. An excellent introduction to the Ciné-Concert series and pretty much the exact opposite of watching a football game.
- Sunday, September 8th – When Harry Met Sally @ Lake Anne Plaza Summer Film Festival - If you’ve ever needed a reason to go to Reston, here it is. One of the best modern romantic comedies proves, once and for all, that true love conquers all. And that it’s totally acceptable for an OK looking guy to end up with an amazing looking Meg Ryan who happens to be 13-years his junior.
- PLUS: Keep an eye on our film section for ongoing MOVIE TICKET AND PREVIEW GIVEAWAYS. We do one or two a week on average.
- Wednesday, September 4th – Live band karaoke is OK but Rock ‘N Twang Live Band Karaoke @ Hill Country has us intrigued.
- Wonderland Wednesdays – free shows EVERY Wednesday. No catch.
- Friday, September 6th – SHORTS returns to take over 6 (!?!) floors of Sticky Rice and the building next door in this celebration against pants. Gavin Holland and Phillipe Chetrit provide the soundtrack to this strict no-pants policy party.
- Friday, September 6th – If you’re into DJ nights but not into things like shorts and dancing, get weird at Marx Cafe at WE FOUGHT THE BIG ONE
- Saturday, September 7th – Bella Russia @ Artisphere - the local band will attempt to perform for seven-consecutive hours to celebrate the release of their new EP. EPs are shorter than LPs. So it only makes sense that a band should perform for seven-consecutive hours to mark the occasion of releasing a shorter piece of documented music.
- Sunday, September 8th – Seemingly half of DC’s music scene is playing a set at ADAMS MORGAN DAY. Sounds good to us.
- Tuesday, September 3rd – Equal parts food and whiskey, the White Party Happy Hour at Black Whiskey features free crunkcakes in addition to happy hour specials and free pool.
- Tuesday, September 3rd - Get your beer tastings on @ Bier Baron (this AND EVERY Tuesday)
- Saturday, September 7th – The DC MEETMarket, an event that sounds like a cattle call for all singles that hear can hear the ringing of a dinner bell, is actually an excellent event that includes 40 local vendors selling their local wares, is dog friendly and features a performance by the local kids band Metal Panda. You should go just because there’s a kids band with the name Metal Panda.
- Check our agenda for a plethora of art exhibitions open throughout the month!
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.