Hey 2012! How did you sneak up on us like that?! So, we’ve been doing a bit of runway research since the NEW YEAR began and we have to say there’s A LOT to look forward to. With the unseasonably warm temperatures, its easy to imagine yourself in Spring’s au courant admirations from deep-sea sirens to confectionery pastels we are warming up to 2012′s latest preoccupations. Here’s to 2012 and 12 of the latest in-fashion and undoubtedly cool trends you are bound to be coveting this year:
1. UNDER THE SEA: Chanel Spring/Summer 2012 RTW clearly embraced the Neptunian theme. Designer Karl Lagerfeld transformed the Grand Palais in Paris into a subaquatic aquarium complete with sprightly sirens who moved briskly amidst a background of GIANT coral and pearls. A deep-sea dive worth taking. Giorgio Armani, Alexander McQueen, Versace, and Givenchy also turned to the sea for inspiration this season.
2. PURE PASTELS: Louis Vuitton S/S 2012 is ALL cake. With clear plastics and pastels, this Candy Land finery is complete with carousel, tiaras, and high heels. Check out more of LV’s sugar-coated campaign featured in STYLE LICKS. Prada, Ralph Lauren, 3.1 Phillip Lim (and Chanel!) are also craving for something sweeter this season.
3. PEPLUM: Jason Wu S/S 2012. Work it.
(Also spotted at Marc by Marc Jacobs, Ohne Titel, Cushnie et Ochs)
4. FLORALS: A mixture of baroque metallics and carbon florals, Christopher Kane S/S 2012 is a whimsical take on this sylvan trend. See also Altuzarra, Prabal Gurung, and Alexander Wang for more wallflower (errr, not so shy anymore) prints.
5. WHITE-OUT: Jil Sander S/S 2012. Plus Mary Kate and Ashley embrace ALL white for the Row S/S 2012 collection.
6. NEON: A throw back to Proenza Schouler S/S 2011, designers Peter Som (below), Altuzarra, and Nanette Lepore channel neon colors with 2012 fresh florals. Interweaving two of Springs most popular trends.
7. RETRO-GLAM: Gucci S/S 2012 takes us back to the Jazz Age, “the Golden Twenties,” with its metallic drop-waists and emboldened Deco prints. Sparkling silhouettes from Tory Burch, Marchesa, Ralph Lauren, and Derek Lam similarly draw on 1920s glamour.
8. DEEP SPACE: Derek Lam S/S 2012. Givenchy, Lanvin, and Herve Leger follow Lam into the NEW YEAR with supernova metallics, blacks, chiffon & leather. Watch Karlie Kloss and her endlessly long legs for Lanvin HERE.
10. GONE PAISLEY: Stella McCartney S/S 2012. With looks that appear both effortless and comfortable – one of my favorite collections of the season. Nice one! Jil Sander, Thakoon, and J.Crew also take on this prep-print for Spring 2012.
11. DIGITAL PRINTS: Preen S/S 2012. Another favorite for the new year – digital imaging is just beginning to gain popularity among tech-savvy designers like Preen, Vera Wang, Dries Van Noten, and Mary Katrantzou.
12. PRETTY IN PINK + LACE: Valentino S/S 2012. One of the most beautiful collections of the season – lace dresses and blush undertones, placed amidst a dreamier Mexico HERE in Valentino’s NEW Spring 2012 ad campaign. Plus paler hues and modern silhouettes from Calvin Klein Collection, Givenchy, and Nina Ricci.
And as always, let us know if we missed something in the comments. PSA:-the WINTER STYLE GUIDE IS UP-LOVE IT RIGHT HERE .
TIPS? LINKS? SEND THEM TO: firstname.lastname@example.org.