Where we talk about stuff (happening in and around D.C.) we didn’t always write about but is still something you may care to get all riled about and comment on. So, without further ado – today, in other D.C. media sources:
- Wind up hosting a 4th of July party at the last possible second? Never fear, Washingtonian is here with 10 tips for hosting a last-minute Independence Day party (no reference to the film included, unfortunately).
- An Arlington emergency director is actually calling for a cancellation of the Fourth, citing the Capital region’s state of emergency, electricity issues and a decrease in 911 call accessibility. (via Washington Post)
- In other 4th-of-July-related news, you can get a FREE cab ride home tomorrow night up to a $30 fare, from 10pm to 4am. Call SoberRide at 1-800-200-TAXI.
- And D.C. taxi drivers are threatening to strike pending a new law that might enforce newer cabs and credit card installation. This should not, however, affect your ability to find a cab tomorrow. (via The Examiner)
- Because I’m always in favor of food roundups: seven meals under $12 in the Borderstan area. (via Borderstan)
- WJLA is looking for help tracking storm damage on their interactive map–you can add your location/damage sightings right over here.
- And finally, two African lions–one of which is named Aslan; brilliant–are leaving the National Zoo for the Calgary Zoo as early as this month. (via HuffPost DC)
(Jennifer Zoon // Smithsonian’s National Zoo)