Hey everyone! This week’s DC BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be dedicated to the parenting miracle that is Lucille Bluth. Happy Mother’s Day Weekend EVERYONE!
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- DC: we have some truly amazing events coming up in the next few weeks (including SPANDEX! our Capitol Pride party -currently on special insider scoop discounted presale) so follow us on facebook & twitter to stay informed
- NYC: THIS FRIDAY the May edition of ONE STEP BEYOND @ American Museum Of Natural History. James Blake will be there, will you? (that’s a trick question)
- behold the the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.SO-SIGN UP.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- FIRST AND FOREMOST-our BRUNCH GUIDE 2013 is live. It has everything you ever wanted out of a brunch in there: bottomless brunches, classy options, unexpected menus, vegetarian spots, and more. USE IT ALL THE TIME.
- Also, we caught up with James Blake and it was dreamy. Read the full interview here.
- Spend some time with these awesome photos from PRANCIN’ (BONUS: there is an instagram of a puppy riding a pony, no joke) and some time with these awesome photos from GOLD CUP, BALL ON THE MALL, SUNDRESS FEST, JOSS WHEDON BURLESQUE , RUNNING OF THE CHIHUAHUAS and more.
- our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- AND of course-to stay UP on all the shows you need to see this week-check out our SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK listicle + playlist, DONE AND DONE.
- LONG TERM USEFUL:
- BYT’S ANNUAL DC OUTDOOR DRINKING GUIDE IS HERE. USE IT AND ABUSE IT.
- Also-our handy adventuring-in-DC springtime recommendation list too
- GUIDES! out our exhaustive, extensive, hilarious-yet-informative FOOD, FINE ART, FILM, MUSIC, STYLE and THEATRE editions for SPRING/SUMMER 2013. Information you can use for 25 weeks.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK-ready for the weekend now?
Good. Because it is going to be a fast and loose one:
- FIRST THINGS FIRST:
if you are on a super budget, peruse our FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK column which is PACKED with useful info
- +OUR HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE column (and the aforementioned OUTDOOR Drinking Guide)
- then: WORN MAGAZINE celebrate their issue #5 (theme is DREAMERS) at the newly opened and completely awesome BLACK WHISKEY
- also, on the early and fashion side-stop by SWAP IN THE CITY at the newly opened 1776 campus
- also, also on the early and fashion side-GAP is having a new season preview party 6-9 at their Georgetown location, Nouveau Riche is DJing, there will be drinks handed to you etc.
- or, you know, MEET BUZZ ALDRIN @ Nat Geo. NBD.
- afterwards -
- speaking of Buzz Aldrin, continue this evening’s space adventure and nerd out to the STAR WARS VS. STAR TREK Burlesque @ Bier Baron
- see one of the three awesome shows we truly feel you shouldn’t miss:
- MS MR (with SIR SLY) @ U Hall as part of the Sweetlife Festival Kick Off celebrations
- Marnie Stern is @ Black Cat
- and the inimitable Alice Russell is @ LIV
- or get into the swing of Great Gatsby vibes this weekend with this Doc Scantlin party
- plus: all weekend long there’s 48 hour film screenings at AFI Silver spring
- for the funnies: Ross Mathews is at Sixth and I Synagogue
- and if in search of partying-MARACUYEAH turns 2 @ Tropicalia
- plus, the Washington Jewish Music Festival is in full swing, so check out our full preview here.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- Chances are, you may want to be taking things a touch easy tonight since you MAY BE going to a major festival tomorrow/have to hang out with your Mother on Sunday. So, here’s to a good Friday:
- PRINCE HARRY IS IN TOWN! DO SOME CASUAL STALKING!
- celebrate DC’s Black Bartender History with this classy DC Toasts evening @ Howard Theatre
- check out some YOU, ME, THEM, EVERYBODY curated comedy at DC Improv
- and shows wise, it is all about THE VEILS @ RNR Hotel
- soak up some nostalgia with BRUCE IN THE USA @ The Hamilton
- though dance music fans should go and check out the FORWARD FEST PREVIEW too
- and make mistakes of the best variety with SHENANIGANZ! (feat. booze filled CRUNKCAKES) at 930 club’s back bar
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (Seriously, A LOT: festivals, shows, dance parties, stuff).
- HAPPY SWEETLIFE FESTIVAL DAY! Plan accordingly by perusing both our set times schedule for the day AND checking out this inspirational FESTIVAL STYLE post we had some local musical heroes do.
- NOT going to the festival? we still have tons of other options for you:
- during the day-swing by the National Building Museum for one of the HILL COUNTRY BBQ Lawn Parties which are happening all summer, every Wednesday-Sunday afternoon. It is a great time (check out our full photo set from the first one here. DELICIOUS.)
- or swing by the Annual Smithsonian Garden Fest
- or stock up on local wares at the 2013 CRAFT MAFIA Spring Thing
- at night:
- HAR MAR SUPER STAR is @ DC9.
- Curren$y is at HOWARD Theatre
- on the local band side: Black Hills and Greenland are playing DUNES
- if you’re in search of a dance party, the good people behind Mousetrap are throwing THE UPSIDE DOWN DANCE PARTY @ Black Cat
- and there is a cool sounding AERIAL EXTRAVAGANZA happening @ Dance Place
- and over in Baltimore-CRYSTAL CASTLES are @ Rams Head Live and something called MURDERCASTLE: A Rock Opera is happening at the Autograph playhouse and will obviously be amazing
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY! Looking for brunch spots? WE HAVE ALL THE BRUNCH SPOT RECOMMENDATIONS YOU NEED (both to take Mothers and not to take Mother’s to)
- pre-brunch maybe catch a screening of North by Northwest @ E street
- or make plans for one of the other awesome movies out this week: The Great Gatsby seems particularly Mother’s day friendly in our opinion (Check out our FILM SECTION for recommendations etc)
- afterwards: sip on some Daiquiris at the Gibson as part of their Sunday Cocktail School series
- or check out the Alliance Francaise’s URBAN CORPS Festival which kicks off today and runs through the 18th (full preview coming your way FRIDAY)
- and try and scalp some tickets to either Taylor Swift or James Blake, because both will be awesome, if for totally different reasons. (alternatively-IF YOU BECOME A VIPER, you could win tickets or get paid reserves to sold out shows ALL THE TIME)
- staying in? HOME ENTERTAINMENT column to the rescue!
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, work on your defense mechanisms: