Hey everyone! This week’s BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our awesome AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be dedicated to Princess Diaries because now that LES MIS is out on DVD it is a perfect opportunity to revisit the greatest role of Anne Hathaway’s life FOR REAL. Plus, Julie Andrews! (ALWAYS)
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS and GOODIES:
- DC: save the date for the ULTIMATE BYT DERBY DAY PARTY: PRANCIN’ (wooooooooooooooot) on May 4th. DETAILS and TICKETS – right here, right now
- NYC: we just announced the May edition of ONE STEP BEYOND @ American Museum Of Natural History. James Blake will be there, will you? (that’s a trick question)
- last week we announced the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP.
- MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS COMING SOON FOR ALL SORTS OF STUFF BOTH IN DC AND NYC, so follow us on facebook & twitter to stay informed
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- GULP! we sit down with Mary Roach and talk food in ways you’ve NEVER talked about food.
- RECORD STORE DAY-all you need to know in DC and beyond
- PUPPIES! a super intense and pretty adorable FASHION FOR PAWS recap.
- DIY of the week: an ADORABLE terrarium
- our weekly FOOD NEWS ROUND UP has all the delicious scoop you can handle in DC
- AND of course-to stay UP on all things music this week-check out our SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK listicle + playlist, our NEW TUNES YOU SHOULD F*CKING KNOW and our CROSSFADE ROULETTE dance music round-up. DONE AND DONE.
- GUIDES! out our exhaustive, extensive, hilarious-yet-informative FOOD, FINE ART, FILM, MUSIC, STYLE and THEATRE editions for SPRING/SUMMER 2013. Information you can use for 25 weeks.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK-ready for the weekend now?
Good, because it is a beast.
- FIRST THINGS FIRST:
and if you are on a super budget, peruse our FREE AND ALMOST FREE THINGS TO DO IN DC THIS WEEK column which is chock-a-block-full of great suggestions for wallet-friendly entertainment
- + OUR HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE column (this week: with a strong focus on mmmmmargaritas AND half priced burgers)
- stop by Artisphere for the bound-to-be-fascinating exhibit reception of Wilmer Wilson IV’s: The Forever Aftermath performance piece.
- then-always been meaning to check out all those awesome restaurants that keep popping up in Shaw but never seem to have the time? Well, you’re in luck the SHAW MAIN STREETS annual fundraiser is tonight and the chefs from ALL OVER THE NEIGHBORHOOD are providing delicious food and drink for you to sample. GO.
- also-HAPPY HI5 Day. Celebrate @ Mandu whose owner, Danny Lee, was one of the founders of the holiday in 2002 at UVa (#FAME). To celebrate: Mandu will have specials from happy hour to close (4PM – 1:30 AM) and a special $5 menu with 50% of the sales from dishes and drinks on that menu going to charity. Menu items will include sojutinis, dumplings, chicken wings, seafood pancakes and Korean tacos.
- After that-it is ALL ABOUT the shows, so many good shows. Truly a little something for everyone:
- RHYE is (inevitably mysteriously) playing Sixth and I
- BLEACHED bring their bratty, blonde, California punk to DC9
- RUSKO takes over 930 club
- Faith Evans is @ Warner (which, while relatively pricey comes with the ability to close your eyes and imagine you’re in a video with her and Puffy)
- there is ANOTHER edition of NEW NOISE over @ Gibson Guitar Showroom
- and Rhett Miller (and his cheekbones) are @ Hamilton Live
- plus U Hall continues their DC disco showcase nights with a VOLTA BUREAU DJ set, Mr. Bonkerz and more
- and if shows are NOT your thing-check out this awesome screening of not-yet-seen VICE HBO documentary series @ GW with a Q&A with Shane Smith and Jason Mojica following (rumors of afterparty are growing louder by the minute too)
- or swing by COMET to get into the swing of RECORD STORE DAY weekend things with a screening of LAST SHOP STANDING: THE RISE, FALL AND REBIRTH OF THE INDEPENDENT RECORD SHOP (and also to eat delicious, delicious pizza, duh)
- and help make FIGMENT performing arts festival happen by stopping by their fundraiser @ Zeba. KARMA BONUS POINTS.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- totally understandable if you’re EXHAUSTED just by reading through that Thursday, so lets get some sustenance in you. It is an INSANE new restaurant spring in DC and we have stories to prove it (Click on the links for first looks/photos/etc):
- AZUR (in the old Cafe Atlantico space) opens this weekend-get reservations (photos here)
- The Red Hen just opened in Bloomingdale and looks awesome and delicious
- The Diplomate on 14th street is probably the closest you’ll come to spending this weekend in Paris (but we warned-EVERYONE is trying to go there right now, so make reservations or SHOW UP EARLY)
- plus, the GRILL Room (which we will have photos of momentarily) and planning for next week- DEL CAMPO is opening and should be on everyone’s must-visit list
- and Blue Duck tavern just rolled out their spring menu, which is making my eyes water just looking at it.
- plus, lots more useful suggestions in the DC FOOD NEWS ROUND UP.
- Now that you’re nice and full- lets get some nightlife in you:
- People get Ready bring their awesome music/performance/etc extravaganza to Atlas Performing Arts center
- Tilted Torch presents: The Lion’s Den over @ Black Cat
- Bentzen Ball alum Jen Kirkman is saying funny things over @ Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse (we have a classy interview with her coming your way shortly)
- or just have your very own super creepy, super quality movie fest with a screening of ROOM 237 @ West End Cinemas, followed by a midnight projection of THE MANSON FAMILY documentary @ E Street
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- HAPPY 4/20 AKA RECORD STORE DAY AKA THE DAY TO HAVE A HAROLD & KUMAR MARATHON AND BE TOTALLY A-OK WITH IT
- During daytime:
- if you’re a vinyl fan, check out our handy GUIDE TO RECORD STORE DAY DEALS in DC and beyond, featuring local store selections, specials and a heartfelt note from Jack White TO YOU
- stop by the National Mall for a free 4/20 concert
- or the Convention center for the first ever edition of D.C. AWESOME CON -where you can meet the black guy from Ghostbusters! And the black guy from Walking Dead (no, not that black guy, the other one. No, not him either, the other other one)
- and peruse French goods at the annual FRENCH Market in Georgetown
- Head to the Capitol Skyline for WPA’s housewarming/pajama jammy jam/music/peformance art/good vibes/drink tickets extravaganza that is THE SLEEP OUT
- swing by RNR Hotel for Laura Stevenson and Field Mouse
- catch Steven Wilson @ The Howard
- hit on other bike groupies at this BICYCLESPACE party
- engage in EVEN MORE performance art this weekend with Emily Francisco @ The Fridge
- or check out PAUL’S CASE @ Artisphere’s Black Box
- and this is your last weekend to check out AMERICAN Utopias @ Woolly
- late night, get (Eastern European) Weird with JORO BORO @ Ottomania
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- start the day right with a morning screening of BREAKFAST @ TIFFANY’s
- and keep the movie momentum going by checking out one of our recommended movies from our FILM section (Shane Carruth’s follow up to PRIMER, Upstream Color, opens this weekend and keep and eye out for our interview with him on Friday)
- and 2nd (and final) Day of Awesome Con is today.
- HAPPY EARTH DAY! there is a cool festival thrown by Broccoli City and featuring Big Krit et al happening today at the Fairgrounds 12-8. GO.
- at night:
- we know Joy Formidable is SOLD.OUT (though, if you were a VIPER you would have had a chance to win some tickets to it, just saying) but there’s plenty of other high quality options too:
- Born Ruffians are @ RNR Hotel
- Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer are @ Jammin’ Java
- the VESPERS are @ Hamilton
- Acid Mother’s Temple is @ DC9
- and if you feel your TV screen is just not big enough for the epicness of GAME OF THRONES, head over to Little Miss Whiskey’s where they’re screening it on a (in their own words) HUMONGO screen. Bone up on past episodes via our classy recaps.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
- TILL NEXT TIME, remember that things could be worse: