Hey everyone! This week’s Christmas/Apocalyptic edition of BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our revamped AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be punctuated with inspirational images of both LOVE ACTUALLY and the imment doom (just in time for the holidays AND our END OF THE WORLD PARTY). You’re welcome.
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS
- Since the world is going to go bye bye THIS FRIDAY, we’ve partnered with All Things Go and No Kings Collective to bring you the kind of END OF THE WORLD PARTY you’ve been waiting for. For starters, RAC, BRETT, Lightwaves and Ghost Beach are playing. Details and tickets here.
- ALSO-DECEMBER 31ST-we’re throwing a NYE FANCY SCHMANCY ball, which will be held at the former Spanish Ambassador’s Residence and will BE AWESOME. Details and tickets RIGHT HERE.
- Plus: be on the lookout for
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- Our annual review of BEST and WORST album art of 2012-a must for any design and/or music fan among us (which pretty much covers everyone reading this, right?)
- Our very scientific (no, really) poll of BEST ALBUMS OF 2012, according to EVERYONE.
- Our comprehensive guide to CHRISTMAS EATING IN DC
- Our comprehensive guide to NYE CELEBRATING IN DC
- assorted gruesome holiday knicknack posts here and here
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK, ready for the weekend now?
- Now, the world is ending tomorrow (presumably) so you may as well make the most of it.
- Grab a drink at a non-douchey bar in DC, you have no time to waste on douchey ones. (our list of 25 least douchey bars in the District should help). Also: just don’t say the word douchey ever again (or type it, in my case)
- then… do something culture related: maybe go ice skating at the National Gallery’s Sculpture garden or if you are feeling particularly nihilistic and defeatist, nail that final bad mood coffin in by catching a screening of Lars Von Trier’s “Dancer in the Dark” at the Phillips Collection.
- then-the one show is apocalyptic enough for this evening is (obviously) GWAR @ 930 CLUB. Read our interview with them HERE to mentally prep yourself.
- the OTHER SHOW that is going to be pretty AMAZING is Prince Rama playing their newest record “TOP TEN HITS FOR THE END OF THE WORLD” @ Comet Ping Pong. Heavy Breathing opens. SHOULD BE SUPER, SUPER FUN.
- afterwards, providing your liver has not capitulated this month already, swing by the Mistletoe Edition of Que Sera at Napoleon, for a night of solid bad decisions you potentially won’t have time to regret due to impending apocalypse.
- alternatively, if you’d like to pretend that you’re on a tropical vacation the night before it is all over, check out the Maracuyeah party @ Tropicalia
- plus, you guys-Paul Mooney
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- WELCOME TO THE END.
- As we mentioned, we + All Things Go + No Kings are throwing a party tonight with RAC, Ghost Beach, Brett, Lightwaves, mechanical bulls, strong drinks and more. Good times. You should come. DETAILS + TICKETS HERE.
- Now, aside from that there is obviously so many other lets-all-party-since-we-don’t-have-to-worry-about-tomorrow events (like the ARTpocalypse @ The Dunes or the Deep Secrets Apocalyptic Throwdown or Black Cat’s Punk Rock End of the World or Fillmore’s “BEWARE THE DARKNESS” event or whatever your best friend is hilariously deciding to throw)
- Check out the End of the World with Bearshark, Courtesans, and Maple at one of Red Palace’s last shows EVER.
- In the mood for more holiday-ish activities as opposed to apocalyptic ones? Check out the screening of SCROOGED (Bill Murray! With a Mullet!) @ Artisphere
- Regular shows wise: O’Death is @ RNR Hotel
- and Amel Larrieux is @ Howard
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (but, not really)
- Providing we’re all still alive and well now, I guess it is time to prep for Christmas. IMPRESS EVERYONE IN YOUR EXTREMELY JUDGY FAMILY BY MAKING THESE DELICIOUS HANDMADE HOLIDAY TREATS and/or OBTAINING ONE OF OUR AMAZING GIFT GUIDE GIFTS for them. You’re (always) welcome.
- Then, maybe go catch a matine of one of the movies opening this weekend: THIS IS 40, BARBARA, JACK REACHER etc. Reviews of all of those and more can be found in our FILM SECTION, starting Friday.
- in search of funny? Brian Posehn is at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse all weekend
- Fairweather play a rare original line-up show at RNR Hotel
- and of course, don’t forget the annual BLISS Holiday Extravaganza, with host Will Eastman and guest Jacques Renault
- + over at Hamilton Empresarios host the Navidad Fiesta
- and Porter Robinson is at Echostage
- plus, as your holiday movie of choice for today-catch GREMLINS over @ AFI Silver
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- Normally, I suggest nothing but naps and hugs for this day but since tomorrow is a day of not working and laying on the couch watching LOVE ACTUALLY AND JUST FRIENDS AD NAUSEUM, lets see what we can do to get out of the house at least today:
- there is a double feature of IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE and HOME ALONE at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse (you can also, obviously, just pick one or the other)
- Steve Summers and Beautiful Swimmers are @ U Hall
- Spank Rock throw their annual Christmas bash @ Ottobar which is ALWAYS COMPLETELY INSANE
- or step into the dark side of a fairy tale and check out Washington National Opera’s Hansel and Gretel @ Kennedy Center
- OR while you’re there (at the Kennedy Center), the classic WHITE CHRISTMAS
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
CHRISTMAS EVE + DAY
- MERRY CHRISTMAS! Wear sweatpants and cozy sweaters! Try not to murder anyone you’re blood related to! Hug! Watch ELF one time too many and…
- …Do this for someone:
hopefully that doesn’t result in this:
PLUS: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
TILL NEXT TIME, REMEMBER :