Hey everyone! This week’s edition of BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our revamped AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be punctuated with inspirational images of PRIDE & PREJUDICE (the Colin Firth BBC version, duh), because, well, WHY NOT? P&P Romance factory always and forever.
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS
- Since the world is going to go bye bye on December 21st, we’ve partnered with All Things Go and No Kings Collective to bring you the kind of END OF THE WORLD PARTY you’ve been waiting for. For starters, RAC and Ghost Beach are playing. Details and tickets here.
- ALSO-we just announced our NYE FANCY SCHMANCY ball, which will be held at the former Spanish Ambassador’s Residence and will BE AWESOME. Details and tickets RIGHT HERE.
- And this Sunday afternoon, at Jack Rose-we are having a little BYT Holiday Meal-Liquid diet edition, and you are very much invited to swing by.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- Musical Prozac 2012: SONGS THAT MADE ME! ME! ME! HAPPY THIS YEAR
- A First Look Inside Bryan Voltaggio’s soon-to-open RANGE
- Making a Case for Taylor Swift’s “RED” as album of the year
- and a peak inside GINGERTOWN - the world’s biggest installation of gingerbread houses, which happens to be right here in DC.
- And as always-a gentle reminder we now how BYT NYC homepage too and publish a NYC Best Weekend Bets. So….tell yourself/ friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK, ready for the weekend now?
- If you are anything like us, your instagram feed is FILLED with people just having a gran’ ole time at Art Basel Miami. Well, if you are not there but here, may we suggest stopping by the W3F1 opening @ Artisphere which explores the connection between our online and offline selves (touchy!) and promises to be amazing.
- Other art related activites include: DJs in the Garden, where ice skating and grooving are combined at the Ice Skating rink of National Gallery of Art
- or some light holiday shopping at Corcoran’s Annual OFF THE WALLs student sale (if you don’t make it tonight, don’t worry-they’re open all weekend too)
- Then, shows wise, we know that JAPANDROIDS/DIIV show is sold out and your heart is broken over it but here are some other and super solid suggestions:
- OS MUTANTES are @ The Hamilton
- WIZ KHALIFA is @ Patriot Center
- ATG brings NEW NOISE 007 (not bond related) to Gibson Guitar Showroom
- and RedBull Academy brings BEN UFO to U Hall (preview+chance to win tickets-RIGHT HERE)
- plus, for fans of Quentin Tarantino (which is all of us, right?), as part of the celebration of his 2 decades of filmmaking (time certainly does fly) tonight you can catch PULP FICTION in movie theatres for one night only. GO.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- Continuing with your “pretending to be in Miami” theme, for tonight we suggest stopping by the opening night of FOCUS! at Malmaison, which explores the cross pollination between video art and short film. Yes, there will be cocktails.
- then-check out the always adorable MATES OF STATE @ RNR Hotel
- or check out one of the last performances of The Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart, featuring a free shot of whiskey AND THIS GUY.
- Catalyst at Black Cat features Josiah from XMU radio so get ready to hear the best indie jams your body can handle
- and sweat off all those holiday party calories you’ve been accumulating all week @ BODY JAM which brings the spandex back to Looking Glass lounge
- for good, funny times catch BYT friend Kurt Braunohler (and longtime comedy partner of Kristen Schaal) at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse (also telling jokes tomorrow)
- or-catch a midnight screening of Hitchock’s STRANGERS ON A TRAIN at E Street
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (but, not really)
- According to our “SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK” list, there is at least 3 things you should be pretty jazzed about:
- Black Moth Super Rainbow is @ U Street Music Hall (followed by a Nouveau Riche dance party time, making a strong case for moving into that basement tonight)
- Judah Friedlander (and SOME HAT OF HIS) is @ SIXTH AND I
- and Simian Mobile Disco is @ RNR Hotel. YOU’RE SPOILED FOR CHOICE, we know.
- Naughty SnowBall at Phase 1. Santa has taken it upon himself to fulfill the Mayan apocalyptic prophecies. Your mission: terminate the Claus.
- The Repeal Ball is happening out at the Hill Center and you should be terribly excited because the D.C. Craft Bartenders Guild hosts party that features unlimited cocktails made by the area’s best mixologists.
- HOUSE OF SECRETS is open again for one night only. You can catch Till Von Sein, Chris Burns, Sarah Myers, and more.
- But-lets also throw some Theatre in the mix:
- in perfect synchronicity with their “UNDER 30 Subscription” launch (where you can get tickets for $20 if you are under 30), Arena Stage has 2 shows we recommend: MY FAIR LADY and PULLMAN PORTER BLUES, pluse SHAKESPEARE THEATRE COMPANY’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” is pretty spectacular
- plus, POPPED UP VIDEOS LIVE returns to Artisphere
- Richard Marx (!) is @ Howard
- and for dancing purposes MIXTAPE HOLIDAY PARTY is back @ Black Cat
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- WATCH SOME MOVIES
- combine brunching and photo taking (2 of BYT’s favorite things) at The Coupe with their HOLIDAY PHOTO BOOTH pop-up
- then, post brunch- stop by JACK ROSE for our “HOLIDAY MEAL-Liquid Diet” edition. We have a full preview of cocktails that will be served + the RSVP link right here.
- And I Am Not Lying at Black Cat features some of the best “boylesque” you can find on the eastern seaboard along with standup comedy and storytelling – performers once featured on This American Life. There will be a limited number of seats available, standing room for overflow. To get one, the best bet is to buy a ticket online and show up early.
- Smashing Pumpkins are playing Patriot Center
- the music equivalent of a champagne cocktail that is the combo ICONA POP + MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS takes on Rams Head live
- and Jason Isbell is at 930 club
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
AND REMEMBER: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
TILL NEXT TIME, remember, it all comes down to this: