Hey everyone! This week’s edition of BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from our revamped AGENDA HOMEPAGE and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be punctuated with inspirational images of BLADES OF GLORY, since, you guys-ICE SKATING SEASON IS OFFICIALLY UPON DC. Go into the weekend like a champion:
Before we start-a few PSAs…
UPCOMING BYT EVENTS
- Since the world is going to go bye bye on December 21st, we’ve partnered with All Things Go and No Kings Collective to bring you the kind of END OF THE WORLD PARTY you’ve been waiting for. For starters, RAC and Ghost Beach are playing. Details and tickets here.
- plus, hopefully, by Monday-there will be New Years details to talk about.
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK
- following the sad news of Red Palace’s imminent closing, we’ve assembled a best-of of sorts of all the amazing show memories we’ve had there.
- A VERY CRUCIAL GUIDE TO INSTAGRAMMING (the right way)
- Need a Christmas tree? Here is where to get one in DC.
- Plus, all sorts of new and great things landed in DC this week:
- Hanoi House is the new Vietnamese place on 14th and U from Eric Hilton & Co – we have a first look photo set here.
- Styleliner’s Pop-Up Igloo is now open, filled to the brim with amazing accessories and present ideas. We have a first look photo set of that as well.
- And for those into combining news about Asian restaurants AND pop-ups, Bikkurubako pops-up at OH Fish. We have photos of that as well.
- oh-and we’re giving away a chance to eat at Bryan Voltaggio’s new restaurant BEFORE ANYONE ELSE (and for free). You want this.
- Plus, keep an eye out for our end-of-year lists, holiday cocktail lists, gift guide lists and more coming your way super soon.
- + as always- a gentle reminder that WE NOW PUBLISH NYC BEST WEEKEND BETS and other fun NYC content too -tell all your New York friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK, ready for the weekend now?
- First things first: get into the mood for all of this week’s shows by reading our “SHOWS TO GET PUMPED FOR THIS WEEK” article. Super handy information abounds.
- sneak out of work early and score some gifts: Ciao Nina is having a trunk show @ Propper Topper and just up the street is the aforementioned Styleliner Igloo.
- then-happy holidays and welcome to Gingertown which is the world’s biggest gingerbread city and it is ALL OURS. The installation is on 1133 Connecticutt Ave (the old Filene’s) and they are having a happy hour tonight to boot at Panache with $3 drink specials and more. You’re welcome.
- Speaking of shows, sure Tanlines is sold out (read this interview we just did with them as a consolation prize) but fear not, plenty other great fish in the show see:
- Pearl & The Beard are playing RNR Hotel. We have this super sweet interview with them right here to get you motivated.
- All Things Gold returns to 930 club. Chiddy Bang is headlining. We are giving tickets away to it RIGHT HERE.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- the big, classy (and supportive of all the right arts) event tonight is the annual Transformer Auction @ The Corcoran.
- in the mood for something a little more low brow? need some pep in your party step before said lowbrower activities? Check out our GREATEST PARTIES OF ALL TIME: MOVIE EDITION while pre-gaming.
- Aaron Freeman (aka Gene Ween of Ween/personal hero) is playing the Hamilton tonight. Yes.
- Sky Ferreira’s pout and hair and wardrobe (and yes, those pop dance songs) finally make their way to DC. She is performing tonight @ DC9 as part of the Liberation Dance Party. Should be a fun time. (in some dream scenario – there is a Gene Ween/Sky Ferreira super weird afterparty waiting to happen here)
- Action Bronson probably destroys Howard theatre, but in a good way (actually, scratch that afterparty idea-I’d like to add Action Bronson to it as well)
- Echostage features a pretty impressive shitshow with ZEDS DEAD as headliners. Godspeed.
- pretend you are (forever) in college at the Great American Flip Cup Scramble
- or wish Brandon Wetherbee and YOU, ME, THEM, EVERYBODY LIVE a very happy birthday
- the Hitchcock retrospective @ AFI concludes with NOTORIOUS (pair that with seeing the new Hitchcock biopic for a perfect fanboy/girl double bill)
- BACK TO THE FUTURE is playing at Midnight @ E Street
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff (but, not really)
- support local food industry and swing by the StartUp Market.
- then, make the most of the newly started ice skating season in DC by checking out WINTER ON THE WATER in Georgetown.
- Patty Smith & Her Band take on Rams Head Live for a night of classic jams
- considering our love for both SNL and Burlesque-the fact that there is a SNL themed burlesque show happening over @ Red Palace has us all sorts of happy.
- for your funny needs: The Sklar Brothers are doing 2 shows @ Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse
- solid indie line-up over @ Black Cat with BYT favorites White Rabbits and Guards sharing the bill.
- over at American U, the last free WVAU show of the semester features a solid local line-up (Heavy Breathing is headling) and probably a decent amount of (maybe?/hopefully?) impressionable coeds to chat up.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- looking for a new place to brunch it up? ROOM 11 (a BYT fave and a strong contender on our “25 Least Douchey Bars in DC” list) just got a great expansion and a brand spanking new brunch menu. Everyone wins.
- Combine your love of day drinking and theatre by checking out the very amazing Strange Undoing of Prudencia Heart @ The Bier Baron
- See some movies (just don’t see “RED DAWN”)
- then, spend some time scouring the craigslist or something for Nick Kroll tickets at Sixth and I. RUXIN!
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
AND REMEMBER: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT AGENDA PAGES, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
TILL NEXT TIME, remember: