Hey everyone! This week’s rather elaborate/event overload edition of BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand selected from BYT ALL CITY and carefully calibrated for maximum fun and minimum stress, and will be punctuated with inspirational images of The Devil Wears Prada, on account of Fashion’s Night Out tonight in DC + OH, yeah-NYFW kicking off as well.
FIRST UP! Some PSAs:
- FALL/WINTER GUIDES are coming-send us tips, advertise with us, etc.
- We are, once again, all about FASHION’S NIGHT OUT this year. Join us in Georgetown at our super sweet lounge TONIGHT (featuring free sips by Tanqueray and Heineken, hot jams by Fatback, witchy glamour by Pandahead Mag, a photobooth and more)
MUST READS ON BYT THIS WEEK:
- Need to figure out what to wear to Fashion’s Night Out? We have a photo shoot featuring some of our favorite fall clothes from some of our favorite stores on some of our favorite people to help guide you.
- Animal Collective released a new album this week. To celebrate- we went “Hiking with Animal Collective”. For real.
- For all you EDM lovers out there-we have an amazing photo/review recap of Electric Zoo.
- Yes, you can pickle that.
- Also-this video. Very necessary.
- + WE NOW PUBLISH NYC BEST WEEKEND BETS TOO-tell all your New York friends to subscribe to it + follow us over there on twitter @BYTNYC.
- And you can stay forever in the loop and follow us on facebook & twitter & pinterest too
OK, ready for the (long) weekend now? GOOD. Because there is A LOT to do. A LOT.
- YAY! Fashion’s Night Out. Celebrate fall clothes (yes please) and consumerism at its best tonight in Georgetown. Over a 100 stores, restaurants and salons are participating, BYT is happy to be back on board this year, hosting the official FNO lounge feat. Fatback, refreshments by Heineken and Tanqueray, an Onomonomedia photo booth, make up touch-ups and tutorials by Blue Mercury and more. Instagram and tweet at us all night: #BYTFNO @FNOGeorgetown . What to wear? Answers here.
- Is this not your kind of thing? Totally ok because no matter what those complainers sometimes say we DO live in a big city where a lot of stuff happens all the time. Here are some other options:
- DC Shorts film festival kicks off today. Always, always a good time.
- Phillips Collection marries tech and art with a big party for their new website feat. things like binary cocktails, nerdy temporary tattoos, twitter scavenger hunts and more.
- Art & Soul rallies for a special event to support victims of Hurricane Isaac with a super delicious sounding Louisiana Shrimp Boil with lots of bourbon and beer on top.
- Boyz II Men (!) are at Howard Theatre
- and for those into doom metal (we all have those nights after all) – Sunn O)) takes over Black Cat-cloaks and all. We have a super non-doomy interview with them right here.
- bonus: late night DFA records inspired dancing.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- naturally-buy yourself some concert tickets. listen to this playlist/read this listicle for guidance. Then….
- Normally, I am a big proponent of taking it easy-ish on Fridays but just one look at the calendar makes it VERY obvious this is not going to happen.
- Sneak out of work early and go to the free show @ Kennedy Center celebrating their MyTix program which, btw, is what allows young people (that’s you!) to see Kennedy Center shows at much lower prices, so basically-it is the best thing ever.
- then-there is a big party/fundraiser for Dupont Underground-ABOVEGROUND at the Eastern Market Main Hall feat. some of BYT’s favorite local musicians and more.
- Sondre Lerche adorableness bomb explodes all over 930 Club.
- also-a terrific sounding group art show Microscapes is opening @ DCAC.
- for theatre lovers: hilarious sounding The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity opened this week @ Woolly Mammoth.
- BYT’s favorite exercise themed party BODY JAM celebrates its first year anniversary. Wear EXTRA A LOT of spandex for this one.
- Shows wise-all sorts of good times: Sons of Bill are @ U Hall, Volta Bureau is @ Black Cat and the always ready to rumble J Roddy is @ RNR Hotel.
- and for those into pondering what this urban sprawl of ours is doing to all of us – head to Artisphere.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- during daytime-if it is still as sweltering as it has been this whole week-make the most of this Indian Summer we have on our hands and stop by the Mother Trucker Pool Party @ Capitol Skyline. $5 all day.
- also a daytime option: eating ice cream to support the Art League.
- before going out at night, at 5pm on the dot, hang out with some seriously well dressed men and drink quality cocktails with Hugh & Crye at their GOOD PEOPLE pre-dinner soiree at the Occidental Room.
- right after that-check out some great gallery openings: William Christenberry @ Hemphill, Toil, Jill Townsley @ Project 4, Karen Knorr’s gorgeous India Song photo show @ Adamson and Lisa Ruyter’s Let Us Now Praise Famous Men @ Connersmith. If you feel spoiled for choice-you should be, but with some time management you can probably check them all out.
- and for your art and movie party needs: BYT is media sponsoring the DC Shorts Grand Bash @ the US Navy Memorial. GO.
- THEN-lets break this down by venue:
- @ 930 Club BOB MOULD will be playing Copper Blue and Silver Age in its entirety!
- early @ U Hall CHOPTEETH AFROFUNK BAND Drums. Drums. Drums. Funk. Funk. Funk. Dance. Dance. Dance.
- late @ U Hall NOUVEAU RICHE Mixtape for straight people.
- @ Howard Theatre MIXTAPE 4TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY Nouveau Riche for gay people
- @ Lincoln Theatre COMMON The best in the game? We’re pretty confident in saying that
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff
- Now-I know you’re probably tired by now (hell, I am tired just typing most of this) and while there is DEFINITELY a few chosen things not to be missed today (more on that momentarily) checking out some movies, learning how to make plushies (just because) and hanging out with your friends is always a great way to start a Sunday.
- This week: Bachelorette, Beloved (the new French sex comedy, not the sad Toni Morrison ghost child remake), Little White Lies are all out. Check out our FILM SECTION on Friday for reviews, recommendations and more.
- Stay-at-home bonus: our weekly HOME ENTERTAINMENT guide bravely goes where many have feared: straight into exploring the Nic Cage instant netflix offerings.
- ALSO happening today: the ADAMS MORGAN DAY FESTIVAL IS BACK. Eat food. See cute dogs and children. Day drink.
- ALSO! Union Market opens today officially and they are hosting a FREE ICE CREAM event to celebrate. Nothing not to like.
- other boozy brunch alternatives with entertainment include: the comedy+food @ Bohemian Caverns or the Wonder Brunch @ Red Palace.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLACK CAT!
- Huffington Post and Kennedy Center Join Forces for a “BEST OF DC” free comedy/storytelling/music extravaganza at 6pm.
- @ 930 Club THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN Fuzzy reverb and echoy vocals. The yardstick for the chillwave set. Just go. You won’t be sorry.
- @ Jiffy Lube Live RUSH Dad rock will never die. Not while we’re alive. (for a less cool but potentially as entertaining version of this see ROCK OF AGE @ Wolf Trap)
- @ The Hamilton AZURE RAY w/SOKO Folk/pop/light electronica. So beautiful and darling it (almost) hurts.
- @ DC9 – The Suzan share a fair amount of sass.
- + ALL SORTS OF other stuff. YES-WE KNOW, this weekend IS out to GET YOU.
AND REMEMBER: THERE ARE A BAJILLION OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN BYT ALL CITY, so use it (to both post your events and search for them) and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to.
Now I leave you with some parting words for the weekend: