Where we talk about stuff (happening in and around D.C.) we didn’t write about but is still something you may care to get all riled about and comment on. So, without further ado – today, in other D.C. media sources:
- Your #AdorableDCoftheDay: Shanthi the elephant at the National Zoo is learning to play the harmonica with her trunk. (via The Telegraph)
- Looking ahead to next Saturday (May 12th), there’s a European open house festival, wherein multiple embassies will open their doors for performances, food, art and culture. (via official event site)
- Upon filing specifics of Harry Thomas Jr.’s embezzlement, the District Attorney’s Office makes it publicly known that the former councilmember used the stolen money to purchase, among other things, a motorcycle, a novelty eagle hat, “exotic shoes,” and….. get ready…. an entire leather outfit–chaps included. (via Washington City Paper)
- In more morbid news, Metro is hitting record numbers of suicides, averaging just over one attempt per month in 2012. The year’s sixth attempt occurred just yesterday at U St. Station. (via In the Capital)
- And finally, tomorrow is cinco de mayo. Make sure you’re in the know with our guide to THE BEST guacamole in D.C. and that you’ve got all your plans locked down for the best May 5th ever.