It’s been a long, long, loooooooooong time since BYT has thrown out its net in hopes of catching some amazing, talented and intelligent contributors…
So! BYT is having a casting call in order to advance its coverage of everything awesome in the DC area.
(and beyond-IF you are in NYC, let us know, we want you)
- We aren’t talking just about music.
- If you want to write about literature and Politics and Prose’s book signings, we want you.
- Food/Wine reviewers-we want you.
- Theatre enthusiasts-we want you.
- If you’re stylish and crafty, we want you.
- Got an itch to gossip with the gays, we want you.
- If you have a random column idea (About peanut butter, or memes or peanut butter memes or something else), we want you
- Have you always sat around hoping BYT would cover something you care about? Well, yes, we WANT YOU TOO.
- If you’re a struggling photojournalism grad who can rock a Canon 30D at a concert/gallery opening/ (or any other event, really), we want you.
Rinse and repeat ad nauseum:
If you want to write about something that you think would interest us, we want you.
The caveat is this: BYT is a labor of love. Even those who are getting paid to do BYT full time (and there is only a handful of those) do the website blogging for love. If you’re doing this to “get those phat stacks of cash, son,” well, go sell crazy someplace elsewhere. We aren’t interested. We want someone who can be dedicated to the cause, and contribute something pretty regularly.
What you WILL get out of contributing to BYT:
- A creative outlet for you to release all those metaphors you’ve been building up (without jacking off all over a thesaurus like a Pitchfork staffer).
- Exposure to new music and shows and free meals and endless street cred – the BYT crew is pretty good at taking care of each other in this regard.
- And a chance to ask artists the tough questions – like if masturbating will make you go blind or which metal bands are the biggest pussies. There’s no holding back.
- A LOT OF NEW FRIENDS (we are essentially your new, more dysfunctional but also more fun internet family, and we got your back)
If this sounds good, pick up the following shit, and send it to: email@example.com (with the subject line FUTURE CONTRIBUTOR?)
- Any previous clips you’ve got. College paper? Freelance? If you don’t have anything, whip up a review of a current record/movie/book/restaurant/street corner BYT hasn’t written about yet.
- If you’re looking to be a photographer, make sure to include a link to your flickr/smugmug/whatever + any tear sheets you might have.
- What you would contribute to BYT that would elicit that new, fresh, Selsun Blue tingly feeling.
- Story ideas, including some that don’t pertain to MUSIC. Food, dance, GLBT, design, literature, art, fashion – send something about that avenue as well.
- A resume? If you’ve got it, send it, otherwise, don’t sweat it.
There’s no real deadline for this, but the sooner the better!