compiled by: Kaylee Dugan
This year’s American Craft Beer Week is the largest in the events history, with all fifty states (and DC!) participating in the boozy festivities. From 80’s themed dance parties to fancy five course meals, DC’s vibrant microbrew culture is going all out this week celebrating the one thing that can bring us all together: alcohol. Here’s an outline of some of the coolest beer related things going on this week.
- Brooklyn Brewery Spotlight @ The Big Hunt -Big Hunt is teaming up with Brooklyn Brewery to bring a little of New York to DC in honor of American Craft Beer week. From 4pm to 11pm, Brooklyn Brewery’s East India Pale Ale, Sorachi Ace, Silver Anniversary Doppel Lager, Vintage Barrel-Aged Chocolate Stout, and more will be on tap.
- Four Father of Brewing Event @ Bier Baron -Bier Baron is taking the opportunity to celebrate early American craft breweries like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, and Anchor Steam with a cool 80’s themed party. Not only will there be a 80’s costume competition, but DJ Mellie Mel will be spinning from 6pm to 10pm.
- West Coast Tasting @ Cordial: Union Market’s Cordial Fine Wine manages to pack possibly DC’s best selection of craft beer into two sleek but modestly sized fridges. (Revisit BYT’s Cordial taste test for some insight into their selection process.) Start your Thursday night off right with a free sampling of West Coast brews from the stylish Elysian, perennial favorite 21st Amendment, and up-and-coming No-Li Brewhouse. Be careful operating No-Li’s Wrecking Ball Imperial Stout – it swings with the force of 9.5% ABV.
- Stone Brewing Co. @ Iron Horse Taproom – The infamous west coast brewery, Stone, will be toasting American Craft Beer Week by featuring some of their favorite beers on tap. The official toast is at 8pm, but the party starts at 6pm and will continue on into the night.
- ACBW Beer Dinner @ Mad Fox Brewing Company- Mad Fox is going all out for American Craft Beer week with a five course menu including award winning beer pairings. The menu begins with poached salmon rillettes paired with Mad Fox’s Kellerbier style Koslch, which received the gold medal in 2011 at the Great American Beer Festival. The final dish is a ricotta cheesecake paired with Leonidas Batch 300, Mad Fox’s 300th brew.
- Perennial Artisan Ales Night @ Scion – Dupont restaurant Scion and St Louis brewery Perennial Artisan Ales are coming together in celebration of craft beer. Scion will have eight of Perennial’s beers on tap for half price all evening, including 17, a Mint Chocolate Stout, and the Abraxas, an Imperial Stout with chiles, cacao, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- American Craft Beer Week Specials @ Scion – From Tuesday until Sunday, Scion will be offering at least three craft beer on tap for half off as well as 25% off their large-format bottles all day.
- Dogfish Head: Grapes of Wrath @ The Black Squirrel- An unlikely pair are coming together at this Adam’s Morgan bar. The crazy kids at Dogfish Head Brewery insist that beer and wine are the new milk and cookies and are celebrating their Noble Rot, a mutated Saison with fermentable sugars from two different wine grapes, and the Dogfish Head Sixty-One, the cousin of their best selling 60 Minute IPA with an added dash of Syrah grape must.
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival in Downtown Frederick – Head on over to Carroll Creek Park in Maryland for a day long celebration of all things craft brew related. The Brewers Association of Maryland has brought together over 25 Maryland brewers and 125 craft beers. Festival goers will have access to rare bottles and kegs, while those with VIP tickets will have access to small-batch beers in the VIP area. Local bluegrass and folk musicians will play throughout the day.
- DC Heavy Metal & Port City ‘Borracho’ at The Pinch- DC’s own Port City Brewing Company and DC Heavy Metal are taking over The Pinch to celebrate the limited release of Port City’s Borracho Smokin’ Brown Ale. The beer is named after the band Borracho, who will be playing with local bands Weed is Weed, Wasted Theory, and Cortez. Port City will be giving away prizes throughout the event, including their new beer.
Let us know some events we may have missed in the comments.